Issues

They also are spoiled and get probiotics and vitamins in their water, dried worms and crickets, extra proteins for the plucking of others, sunflower seeds ( shelled and unshelled) Kalmbach scratch and crumbles, oyster shells, sometimes in the morning they also get scrambled eggs cooked in bacon grease. they get all sorts of vegies, I could just go on.
Stop all these treats. Feed only a layer type feed.

I would seriously cut back on the treats - esp the bacon grease. Cook them scrambled eggs in a little olive oil / coconut oil and don’t season them. Too many treats will cause them to not eat their own vitamin and mineral fortified food. I don’t think this had anything to do with your chickens death; it really does sound like it was killed by the other chickens - possibly the stress of the wind storm? Or maybe there was an injury sustained, something fell on her and she got out but the others came and finished the job because they saw blood - chickens are a**holes.
I found another passed sometime last night on her perch, I haven't been feeding them bacon grease a lot maybe once or twice. This is a bit crazy and irritating that this is happening and do not know what is going on or why this is happening.

Can you send one of the dead birds for necropsy? sorry if this was already discussed

I found another passed sometime last night on her perch, I haven't been feeding them bacon grease a lot maybe once or twice. This is a bit crazy and irritating that this is happening and do not know what is going on or why this is happening.
Don’t feed them bacon grease at all! I’m sorry this is happening, but if you’re going to narrow this down you need to stop all treats and especially GREASE. Just a tablespoon is bad for people; can you imagine what a tablespoon or two is like to a chicken? With a tiny stomach? There is 0 nutritional reason to ever do this.
Feed them their regular food (first check to make sure nothing is molded or spoiled) and do clean, fresh water everyday. I highly encourage you to get a necropsy done with this last fatality.

Just working on a hunch here, but did both of the birds that died have the red things on their faces like the australorp has in one of your pictures that you posted previously in the thread?

Back
Top Bottom