Ist time broody

KyCarolyn

Chirping
Oct 23, 2020
I have a cuckoo maran, about a year old. She went broody a few days ago. She is in a pen with 15 other girls and a roo. She had a nice clutch of eggs and after a couple of days got off of those and set on
fresh eggs. Today she did the same thing, left her clutch and set on fresh ones. I picked her up, marked her eggs and placed them in a shallow container with the hope that she will stay put. Any ideas on how to keep her from changing nests? Thanks

Move her to a separate area where there is no temptation of other eggs or interference from other hens.
This ... 👆 Here's a couple pics just to give you an idea.
There's 2 broodys/2 nest boxes. I have them situated the way they are to catch a fan. But both areas are interconnected at the L so they can possibly intermingle after hatch, but if not I can move either nest box to block that off if the 2 hens can't and then position each nest box to maximize the area after hatch.

Note there is feed and water in each separate area and then I can let each hen out to dust bathe and go on her daily rampage but keep the other hens out of her eggs.

Kind of a janky set up, it was done in extreme haste. But it's working.

Hope some of this helps...🙂
IMG_20240522_123629.jpg
IMG_20240522_123602.jpg

This ... 👆 Here's a couple pics just to give you an idea.
There's 2 broodys/2 nest boxes. I have them situated the way they are to catch a fan. But both areas are interconnected at the L so they can possibly intermingle after hatch, but if not I can move either nest box to block that off if the 2 hens can't and then position each nest box to maximize the area after hatch.

Note there is feed and water in each separate area and then I can let each hen out to dust bathe and go on her daily rampage but keep the other hens out of her eggs.

Kind of a janky set up, it was done in extreme haste. But it's working.

Hope some of this helps...🙂
View attachment 3844705View attachment 3844706
Thank you for the idea and pictures

Back
Top Bottom