It’s been 24 hours since internal pip. Should I make a safety hole?

Pics
It went quick thankfully. I had hoped the poor thing might have a chance, but after laying there for two hours just twitching, putting it out was just the best thing to be done.

I still have three though, and they’re SUPER adorable 🥰
View attachment 3427675View attachment 3427676
Their mama is currently sitting on a dozen eggs of her own, at day 12 now, so I’ll be getting even more cuteness in a couple weeks.
I’m so terribly sorry for your loss. I just went through the same thing and it’s so difficult. 💔

Aww your poor baby duckling😢. I saw your other posts about it and I’m so sorry and hope your next twenty will be successful :hugs

It took my mama duck 3 years to go broody, maybe your Muskovy just needs a little time. I’ve read they get better at it as they get older.
Yes definitely!
She’s way to young. I currently have 2 females that are 2 1/2 weeks old. They are still in their brooder, but hopefully by the summer my girl will have some other females by her side.
We had another female but sadly she was killed by a hawk. I had them in their pool and I literally just turned away for 2 minutes to get my daughter’s bike and it was already too late. Oh it was just devastating!
Right now I have 20 eggs all of staggered ages in my incubator. She’s been laying since January 23rd and I just don’t see that being normal..

I currently have one egg in lockdown that internally piped 36 hours ago. I just put in a safety hole, but boy, she’s working really hard to hatch!
I’m a wreck with worry because of our recent loss.
Fingers crossed 🤞

Blessings,
Amy

Yes definitely!
She’s way to young. I currently have 2 females that are 2 1/2 weeks old. They are still in their brooder, but hopefully by the summer my girl will have some other females by her side.
We had another female but sadly she was killed by a hawk. I had them in their pool and I literally just turned away for 2 minutes to get my daughter’s bike and it was already too late. Oh it was just devastating!
Right now I have 20 eggs all of staggered ages in my incubator. She’s been laying since January 23rd and I just don’t see that being normal..

I currently have one egg in lockdown that internally piped 36 hours ago. I just put in a safety hole, but boy, she’s working really hard to hatch!
I’m a wreck with worry because of our recent loss.
Fingers crossed 🤞

Blessings,
Amy
Hope all goes well with you! We live way out in south Texas, so we’ve had plenty of hawk, owl, bobcat, snake, and coyote attacks. Always sad, but I try to remember that the predators have to survive as well. When you think of it that way, it seems less like a senseless killing.

It went quick thankfully. I had hoped the poor thing might have a chance, but after laying there for two hours just twitching, putting it out was just the best thing to be done.

Their mama is currently sitting on a dozen eggs of her own, at day 12 now, so I’ll be getting even more cuteness in a couple weeks.
You did the right thing, as hard as I'm sure it was

What adorable little babies!!! Im so jealous lol, there'll be no ducklings this spring for me
Again, you did an amazing job assisting them! Congrats on your little fluffs

Great job on those assists
You will be helping to guide others through the bruises in the future
Sorry to hear the one baby had a deformity
You did the right thing not letting it suffer
They makes you a great duck mom
Congrats on the very adorable little ones

Hope all goes well with you! We live way out in south Texas, so we’ve had plenty of hawk, owl, bobcat, snake, and coyote attacks. Always sad, but I try to remember that the predators have to survive as well. When you think of it that way, it seems less like a senseless killing.
It’s hard to think of it that way, but helpful as well! ❤️
We get very emotionally invested in our animals and when one passes away it hurts.
I’m such a nervous wreck STILL about my lone egg in lockdown. I did put a safety hole about 3 hours ago. It’s almost impossible not to check on it CONSTANTLY!!!
I have the lockdown incubator in our bedroom next to my side of the bed and get up every few hours to check it and make sure the humidity is correct.
I’m using my not so great incubator for lockdown because I have all my other staggered ages of eggs in my good one. The one I’m using needs constant maintenance and attention.
My poor hubby is a light sleeper and I wake him each time I get up. 😣
This has been going on for 2 weeks now due to the loss of our first one and a day later the next one started piping and needed to go into lockdown.
Muscovy’s are very different and very difficult to incubate and take up to 38 days!!
They take longer to hatch as well.
My Wood ducks had no issues except one passed away due to a deformed leg, blind in one eye and a neurological condition.
My vet said to put her down, but since I had to care for her separately she imprinted with me and I had to carry her around in a little sling, hand feed and water her and she slept in between us in my daughter co-sleeping infant bed!! If I put her down she’d go nuts and cry if she didn’t see or hear me. So I had a toddler on one hip and a duckling on the other! ❤️
She lived for 10 days and one morning I was holding her and she had a massive seizure and passed away in my arms.
I was absolutely gutted and sobbed on and off for a week! I bonded with this tiny baby very much, and I still cry when I look at pictures of her.
I think I’m way too sensitive for this, but I love animals and so do my little girls.
I’m just hoping this little one hatches healthy and happy, and I have 18 more eggs to go! Lol!
All developing nicely but all different ages. I’ll be a zombie by the time I’m done!
Thankfully I’m a Clinical Psychologist and I only have to go to the office once a week. I see my patients via TeleHealth right here at home. I’m very blessed that I’m able to do that so I can be a stay at home mother and care for the animals and our home. ❤️

Thank you for all your help and kindness. It means very much to me!

Here is a photo of “Pip” who was born with his yolk sac unabsorbed and “Jellybean” our special baby. 💔
Look at her size difference next to her siblings! Poor sweet soul..

Blessings,
Amy

Attachments

• 2419BA24-798A-4687-9CA0-6C4CE7E86074.jpeg
    2419BA24-798A-4687-9CA0-6C4CE7E86074.jpeg
    413.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 9C6295E9-0A78-4FDC-B554-C053A3AF8BD4.jpeg
    9C6295E9-0A78-4FDC-B554-C053A3AF8BD4.jpeg
    352.8 KB · Views: 4
  • D6E87B62-98ED-46D2-B55F-4E9C9E5DF6AB.jpeg
    D6E87B62-98ED-46D2-B55F-4E9C9E5DF6AB.jpeg
    689.9 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
It’s hard to think of it that way, but helpful as well! ❤️
We get very emotionally invested in our animals and when one passes away it hurts.
I’m such a nervous wreck STILL about my lone egg in lockdown. I did put a safety hole about 3 hours ago. It’s almost impossible not to check on it CONSTANTLY!!!
I have the lockdown incubator in our bedroom next to my side of the bed and get up every few hours to check it and make sure the humidity is correct.
I’m using my not so great incubator for lockdown because I have all my other staggered ages of eggs in my good one. The one I’m using needs constant maintenance and attention.
My poor hubby is a light sleeper and I wake him each time I get up. 😣
This has been going on for 2 weeks now due to the loss of our first one and a day later the next one started piping and needed to go into lockdown.
Muscovy’s are very different and very difficult to incubate and take up to 38 days!!
They take longer to hatch as well.
My Wood ducks had no issues except one passed away due to a deformed leg, blind in one eye and a neurological condition.
My vet said to put her down, but since I had to care for her separately she imprinted with me and I had to carry her around in a little sling, hand feed and water her and she slept in between us in my daughter co-sleeping infant bed!! If I put her down she’d go nuts and cry if she didn’t see or hear me. So I had a toddler on one hip and a duckling on the other! ❤️
She lived for 10 days and one morning I was holding her and she had a massive seizure and passed away in my arms.
I was absolutely gutted and sobbed on and off for a week! I bonded with this tiny baby very much, and I still cry when I look at pictures of her.
I think I’m way too sensitive for this, but I love animals and so do my little girls.
I’m just hoping this little one hatches healthy and happy, and I have 18 more eggs to go! Lol!
All developing nicely but all different ages. I’ll be a zombie by the time I’m done!
Thankfully I’m a Clinical Psychologist and I only have to go to the office once a week. I see my patients via TeleHealth right here at home. I’m very blessed that I’m able to do that so I can be a stay at home mother and care for the animals and our home. ❤️

Thank you for all your help and kindness. It means very much to me!

Here is a photo of “Pip” who was born with his yolk sac unabsorbed and “Jellybean” our special baby. 💔
Look at her size difference next to her siblings! Poor sweet soul..

Blessings,
Amy
I know! It’s so hard not to constantly check!

I’m only 17, and it’s a special dream of mine, to be able to work and be a stay-at-home mom.

You’re surviving duckies are so cute!

Back
Top Bottom