It’s time to cull my older hens but I feel so sad at the thought

rod5591

Songster
6 Years
Oct 15, 2017
Cookeville TN
I’ve been keeping a backyard flock for 4 years now, adding new chicks each spring and now I have a flock of 35 birds, which is probably too many for my space. The older hens have stopped laying I am sure, but they are top of the pecking order and eat the most food, etc. I need to cull about 10 to 15 birds and I plan to start in October after the weather cools down. But you know what? I don’t look forward to this job at all. When they were young they provided us with so many eggs. And I don’t think it’s easy for them. I don’t name my hens but I recognize each one. Has anyone else hesitated to cull their older birds? How do you do what needs to be done? Sorry if this is a dumb question. I’d be interested in hearing your experience.

I’ve been keeping a backyard flock for 4 years now, adding new chicks each spring and now I have a flock of 35 birds, which is probably too many for my space. The older hens have stopped laying I am sure, but they are top of the pecking order and eat the most food, etc. I need to cull about 10 to 15 birds and I plan to start in October after the weather cools down. But you know what? I don’t look forward to this job at all. When they were young they provided us with so many eggs. And I don’t think it’s easy for them. I don’t name my hens but I recognize each one. Has anyone else hesitated to cull their older birds? How do you do what needs to be done? Sorry if this is a dumb question. I’d be interested in hearing your experience.
It's not a dumb question at all. I can't do it, so I'm planning on keeping all my girls for the rest of their natural lives. But I understand and appreciate your situation. I'm interested in hearing what others say, too.

I'd take them from you if I could, but I don't have the room at the moment.

In the "Chicken world" older hens are the grandma's of the flock .Most have earned a lifetime membership in the flock whether they get it or not. Without them there would be no hens to stand up to a young roosters or protect young pullets.A well established flock has a"society of all ages like ours...young and old.The wisest hens and roosters teach the young roosters and pullets how to act anf treat each other.You might want to consider keeping some . Starting out new every couple years isn't necessarily whats best for the flock.

too many for my space
That's a good reason....they gave you eggs, now they can give you meat.
If you want fresh layers every winter, and are limited on space/resources, then you need to cull the old girls

Has anyone else hesitated to cull their older birds? How do you do what needs to be done?
It's definitely harder than culling those pesky cockerels, but I just got 'er done.
They make wonderful soup/stock.
Resting the cleaned carcass longer(4 days) will make for more tender meat.
I pressure cook and remove the meat after about an hour,
then cook for another couple-few hours for the richest stock.

In the "Chicken world" older hens are the grandma's of the flock .Most have earned a lifetime membership in the flock whether they get it or not. Without them there would be no hens to stand up to a young roosters or protect young pullets.A well established flock has a"society of all ages like ours...young and old.The wisest hens and roosters teach the young roosters and pullets how to act anf treat each other.You might want to consider keeping some . Starting out new every couple years isn't necessarily whats best for the flock.
Some of us cannot have roosters-so the flock dynamics are different. Also, I’m only allowed 4 chickens in my town, so my circumstances are different. Each of us have to make flock decisions with the rules we are under. Obviously the OP isn’t under my restrictions, but she asked how do you do what needs to be done. If I want eggs, I have to cull older birds. I wish I did not have to.

Some of us cannot have roosters-so the flock dynamics are different. Also, I’m only allowed 4 chickens in my town, so my circumstances are different. Each of us have to make flock decisions with the rules we are under. Obviously the OP isn’t under my restrictions, but she asked how do you do what needs to be done. If I want eggs, I have to cull older birds. I wish I did not have to.
My coop and Green house are side by side and my run is the length of both. My little flock of hens eats weeds and lots of bugs, give me fertilizer and provide me a steady supply of fertilized bedding to make into compost. They provide me with everything I need to make gardening better. It doesn't matter as much to everyone that their chickens lay everyday. I will not be sad when I replace mine .They'll be re-homed at a local farm. They can always use an older hen or two to look after any chicks and pullets in their flock.

Culling is not a process that people really enjoy, but it is a necessary part of the cycle of life if you mean to have a consistent supply of eggs.

When I retired the in-town flock it was a solemn thing, but I knew that I was doing it respectfully and that they'd had good lives.

It helps that once you get them undressed they look just like a stew hen from the grocery store (except for having the feet in the package in the freezer).

Retired laying hens make the best chicken and dumplings ever.

Back
Top Bottom