It all started with just one!

Mama D

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 17, 2011
Hello out there to all of my new friends!
I've been visiting this site for quite some time but neglected to join for fear of spam and other predators. Tonight seemed appropriate to join to fulfil the common bond.
My family had chickens when I young and the recollection of those times have prompted me to open the coop door again.
A distant neighbor asked if I wanted a chicken. I guessed so and from there the chicken bug bit me, rather, pecked me. I then added three more. My kids were happy watching and caring for them. So, then I did something that I had wanted to do my whole life and that was to hatch eggs. So, after the incubator, a few various eggs, we now have 6 Red star hens, 6 Easter Eggers, 3 Copper Marans, 9 Polish, and 1 Australorp. I don't know as of yet of how many cockerals or pullets there are of the either Polish or EE's but time will tell.
Today, one of the older hens pecked at of the chicks and ripped off the feathers and skin from the back of its neck. Bled like crazy. It is still alive but kind of still in shock. The wound was cleaned and along with added ointment. I just feel so bad for that little baby.
Anyway, having my chickens is kind of like therapy after working in the financial field day in and day out and as a single mom with two children, those crazy chickens bring us together on some level.
Looking forward to hearing from you.

frow.gif
&
welcome-byc.gif
from Louisiana! You'll be glad you finally joined!!
thumbsup.gif

welcome-byc.gif

We are glad to have you here - I agree that chicken therapy is the way to go
smile.png
Whenever I am having a bad day, I spend time with my chickens and can't help but smile.

If you have questions about watering and feeding Chickens, PM me and I'll get back to you with the answer.

There are some fun chicken lists at www.beaktime.com/information.php

Many thanks! Nice to meet people from all different parts of the country. I was born in Florida, teen years in east Tennessee, back to Florida, and now raising my children in CT. I will say that I do miss the south-especially during winter.
Well, Baby Jack made it through the night and is more alert today and we are thankful. Jack has had a rough start in this world. He was born with one eye and is the runt of the flock. He is so sweet though. We still don't know if Jack is male or female but at the time he was hatched it deemed appropriate to name him Jack for "One-eyed Jack." The long huge wound is scabbing over which is making it less tender for him. Keeping vigil.
Around the outside of the coop there seems to be a rough start of a path from an animal. Its sort of a grassy area along with weeds. I've been reading and looking for some type of deterrent to keep whatever it is away. Perhaps like moth balls or ammonia. Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Welcome from Seattle.

"Around the outside of the coop there seems to be a rough start of a path from an animal."

Make sure your coop/run is secure with hardware cloth and not chicken wire. Place brick, rocks or buried hardware cloth around the perimeter to prevent whatever it is from digging under. Good luck, sounds like you got the chicken bug alright, that's a lot of chickens.

welcome-byc.gif

i also just joined a few days ago... and also, like you, just started with one a black tail japanese rooster (he was a cockerel, back then)

he caught my eye since i saw him at the flee market, since then, i have increased my love and addiction for chickens,

because trust me, sometimes it becomes an addiction!! haha

anyway, welcome and good luck with your chickens and kids...
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom