It Figures

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by herfrds, Aug 2, 2011.

1. herfrds

herfrds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    Montana
    I got a call tonight from my mother, she calls and we talk a bit now and then. I don't call her.

Well before my grandmother passed in May she had promised me these wardrobes in the bedrooms that a family friend had built. When the family pretty much asked me to leave before they cleaned out her house I did get the few other things she had promised me.

The news my mother JUST had to tell me was that they sold her house last week.
    I had talked to my uncle about these wardrobes quite awhile back. He wasn't sure they could be dismantled and removed. DH had looked at them and said he could do it.
    Was told that for the house to sell it had to have closets. We offered to come down remove the wardrobes and build some closets in the 3 bedrooms.
    Was told they would let us know.

Guess not.

To even rub some salt into that wound my mother took great delight in telling me that the guy who bought it was a known hoarder.
    Just what I wanted to know.

I feel like crying because I remember going into those wardrobes to get grandpa his hat or some other thing that grandma had wanted.
    asked if we could just get the measurements of the wardrobes, nope house is sold and gone too bad.

2. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

I feel for you, my grandmother died recently house sold, etc. I still have not got one thing of hers. and I'm the one who took care of her and she passed in my home. I'm just glad I got to spend the quality time with her. I have wonderful memories and it still puts a smile on my face when I think of the fun times we shared. For the others well, I hope they enjoy her stuff!! I know what your feeling. My heart goes out to you!![​IMG]:hugs

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Herfrds, did your Grandmother leave a will, or tell anyone else that she wanted you to have the wardrobes? Things that are not permanently attached to a home are typically not considered part of a sale unless specifically written into the contract. For example, wired ceiling lights are included; things that plug into an outlet are not. Furniture is not typically included, but built-in bookcases or seating is.

If you have evidence that your Grandmother intended them for you, then you deserve to have them, and should be able to prove it in small claims court. That your husband is willing to build in closets for the purchaser is testament to your interest for the intrinsic not monetary value.

[​IMG]

4. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    I so feel for you in not getting those wardrobes that meant so much. [​IMG] That's a hard pill to swallow.

I still can't even linger long on the thought of what happened to my mom's (and family's) things that she kept for us all when she died a few years ago. Gone. All of it. Everything. The things that meant the most...all the family photographs and albums (several generations worth), all the wall photographs, her drawings, the framed drawings from her kids and grandkids over her lifetime that were special to us all, my deceased dad's things, all of her important paperwork, deeds, insurances, bank and other financial records, her will...you name it...an entire household, all gone...literally tossed in the trash like rubish, "by accident". [​IMG]

I and others actually saw it happening but didn't realize what was going on. Who would think??...since we saw it when we all met up at my mom's house to drive to her funeral. She wasn't even buried yet and her stuff that was to be shared with all us kids was already in the trash.

My heart goes out to you. [​IMG]

5. Balefire

Balefire Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Orwigsburg PA
    [​IMG] know how you feel. Friends you can chose, family you hasve to live with. That's one reason that now a couple 1000 miles between my parents and me. But my mom payed me back, she is telling lies to my kids, so that they don't talk to me anymore...........

6. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    So sorry for what was done.It is too bad some things are not passed on to loved ones before a death.People seem to get wacky after a death wanting or selling EVERYTHING.

Contact the hoarder and offer to build closets in trade for the stuff you wanted.Explain what happened.If you are lucky they will go for the trade!

7. herfrds

herfrds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    Montana
    Sonoran everyone knew. The entire family knew and it was talked about.
    uncle had said since there was not a lot of storage in the house we couldn't just build regular closets. Well no kidding. DH and I had talked about getting closet organizers and such.

Here is the one in Grandma's bedroom.
    [​IMG]

This one is in a guest room and there is another one in another room.
    [​IMG]

I tried to make a call yesterday and it wouldn't go through couldn't figure it out, looked down and realized I had called grandma's number.
    I sure miss her.

8. mikensara

mikensara Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2011
    New York
    When hubs dad passed away it was a litteral nightmare. Between his step mom and her outragous accusations and his siblings its still continuing 4 years later.

I still cannot stand his step mom but to keep the peace and not give her a well deserved backhand to the mouth. She says the lord knows and I know deep down karma will get her [​IMG]

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Quote:I agree implicitly that "friends are the family we make for ourselves." I don't agree that 'family you have to live with.' Negative, abrasive, lie telling people whose sole intent is to bring grief-- no one has to or should tolerate them. Family or not eliminate such people from your life. Life is too short. It should be filled with laughter, smiles, good memories, and good deeds. Been there/ done the 'family' deal.

10. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Can you get hold of the agent and ask that they let the buyers know all this and that if they decide not to keep the wardrobes, to contact you for first option on buying them?

Or if there was a will or other legal document that stated you were to receive them, best contact the agent now before the house closes and let him know that there was a miscommunication regarding them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by