1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

It finally happened

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by peeboo, Jan 5, 2009.

1. peeboo

peeboo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    fort bragg nc
    i lost my first girl today. my buff silkie never showed up to the coop today. i've searched everywhere but it is dark and i found no signs of feathers or my girl. i'm thinking the worst. possible hawk? is it common to find no signs of a struggle?

2. Solace

Solace Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Rutherford County, NC
    Don't count her out yet. I've had them vanish for several days then show up. Any chance she could have gone broody?

3. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    Yes, it's possible a hawk or other predator got her, I had a BR disappear like that a couple of years ago. But it's also possible she could have a nest hidden somewhere and has gone broody. I understand they do that quite easily.

4. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I've also had two vanish on me on separate occasions, only to find them roosting in a tree or under some brush for the night. Maybe you'll find her in the morning. [​IMG]

5. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:Yes and if a hawk did scoop her up you may not find any feathers laying about, they are quite broody she may just be playing possum, sorry bad medifore.

AL

6. davidb

davidb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2008
    north east Georgia
    Its possible ,most of the time you will find some sign,she could be just roosting some where else tonight

7. chickenboy95

chickenboy95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2008
    se ohio
    well ive has a white silkie hen go broody on me and not show up for 23 days and then she came out with 6 little chicks behind her. once i found her nest i was totally astonished. she was under the hotub we have fliped upside down.

8. chasep

chasep Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2009
    shes probably on eggs. its not common for a hawk or predator to get a hen without any signs left behind from it. i'm sure she'll show up

9. peeboo

peeboo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    fort bragg nc
    LOL you all are wonderful and prob. right on the money. can not find nest but little miss silkie was in run pacing back and forth waiting for me to let her buddies out this morning! oh boy! i've never seen her go broody before, but it just may be the case [​IMG] i'm such a lucky gal!

10. Jolyn

Jolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    Yayyyyyyyyyy I'm glad that she showed back up for you!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by