It finally happened.

MrIgmo

Chirping
Apr 5, 2023
In late January we had a chimney fire. They are making great progress repairing it but in the meantime they rented us a house about 15 minutes away that is actually really nice with a pool and the kids are happy and everything. But I have to drive over every morning and let the chickens out and put them back up at night. I have an office in the garage so I can work out here or just waste time which is what I do mostly anymore.
I was sitting here while the sheetrockers were inside working, they had the front door and the back door to the house wide open. A stray dog walked right through the house into my backyard and killed my favorite chicken and the three guys in there working didn't do anything to stop it even though it walked right past them. Not only that they closed the back door and were watching out the window as it was chasing the remaining chickens around when I finally heard it over their blaring music. They didn't know I was here, I parked in the back and got here before they did. Although they tried to check, I watched them try the door but it was locked. Which pissed me off because they have no business out here either.
Needless to say, stray dogs in my backyard killing my chickens don't last very long. I'm a dog lover, I have a dog, I've had a dog at all points of my life. I do not feel well emotionally over these events. I loved that chicken, she followed me around like a puppy. She would fly up and land on me, she would sleep in my lap until I made her stop around 4 months old. Then she roosted on my computer monitor while I built their coop. She loved to be held and carried around. Other chickens would fight over food, the dust bath or the best spot on the roosting bar. She would fight over my attention if anyone was trying to get it first.
I double checked and those guys were sitting there eating lunch when that dog walked by them out the door. One of them walked out and watched it catch and kill my chicken before he went back inside and closed the door behind him trapping the dog back there. Then he sat down and was eating his lunch with the other two guys looking out the window when I burst through the garage door and did what I did.
So after I realized the extent of their neglect and that they were going to watch my chickens get killed for entertainment, didn't know I was home, and were going to play dumb. Probably going to go open the side gate and pretend the dog got in that way. I went inside and told them to get their things out of my house and if I ever saw them here again I would kill all of them. They were already payed in full for the entire job. I just wanted them gone. But I meant every word I said.
The boss guy knew I had chickens, I have sent him home with eggs. He thought I wasn't here so he was in charge in his mind of my house and the safety of its contents. He made the decision to leave the doors wide open and not keep an eye on things. But what really pissed me off was that they were sitting there right by the back door eating and the dog walked within four or five feet of them out the back door. And that they left it back there after they knew it was killing my chickens. The thing is, these chickens are spoiled rotten, and these guys have watched me spoil these chickens for weeks. They were going to kill my chickens as some sort of attack on me. They knew it would mess me up, they might not have brought the dog, but when it clicked in their head what was happening they did the opposite of what they should have done for a reason. Three guys, one of them could have done the right thing and they were watching. The main contractor said they won't come back over here no matter what. Good, that means they realize they messed up and got caught. An honest mistake would be one were they could apologize for, these guys did something they know was messed up bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
In late January we had a chimney fire. They are making great progress repairing it but in the meantime they rented us a house about 15 minutes away that is actually really nice with a pool and the kids are happy and everything. But I have to drive over every morning and let the chickens out and put them back up at night. I have an office in the garage so I can work out here or just waste time which is what I do mostly anymore.
I was sitting here while the sheetrockers were inside working, they had the front door and the back door to the house wide open. A stray dog walked right through the house into my backyard and killed my favorite chicken and the three guys in there working didn't do anything to stop it even though it walked right past them. Not only that they closed the back door and were watching out the window as it was chasing the remaining chickens around when I finally heard it over their blaring music. They didn't know I was here, I parked in the back and got here before they did. Although they tried to check, I watched them try the door but it was locked. Which pissed me off because they have no business out here either.
Needless to say, stray dogs in my backyard killing my chickens don't last very long. I'm a dog lover, I have a dog, I've had a dog at all points of my life. I do not feel well emotionally over these events. I loved that chicken, she followed me around like a puppy. She would fly up and land on me, she would sleep in my lap until I made her stop around 4 months old. Then she roosted on my computer monitor while I built their coop. She loved to be held and carried around. Other chickens would fight over food, the dust bath or the best spot on the roosting bar. She would fight over my attention if anyone was trying to get it first.
I double checked and those guys were sitting there eating lunch when that dog walked by them out the door. One of them walked out and watched it catch and kill my chicken before he went back inside and closed the door behind him trapping the dog back there. Then he sat down and was eating his lunch with the other two guys looking out the window when I burst through the garage door and did what I did.
So after I realized the extent of their neglect and that they were going to watch my chickens get killed for entertainment, didn't know I was home, and were going to play dumb. Probably going to go open the side gate and pretend the dog got in that way. I went inside and told them to get their things out of my house and if I ever saw them here again I would kill all of them. They were already payed in full for the entire job. I just wanted them gone. But I meant every word I said.
The boss guy knew I had chickens, I have sent him home with eggs. He thought I wasn't here so he was in charge in his mind of my house and the safety of its contents. He made the decision to leave the doors wide open and not keep an eye on things. But what really pissed me off was that they were sitting there right by the back door eating and the dog walked within four or five feet of them out the back door. And that they left it back there after they knew it was killing my chickens. The thing is, these chickens are spoiled rotten, and these guys have watched me spoil these chickens for weeks. They were going to kill my chickens as some sort of attack on me. They knew it would mess me up, they might not have brought the dog, but when it clicked in their head what was happening they did the opposite of what they should have done for a reason. Three guys, one of them could have done the right thing and they were watching. The main contractor said they won't come back over here no matter what. Good, that means they realize they messed up and got caught. An honest mistake would be one were they could apologize for, these guys did something they know was messed up bad.
I am so so sorry! Losing any chicken so needlessly is always hard but especially when it's a favorite one. :hugs đź’”

I almost think what they did was criminal...to bring their dog and let it come kill one of your chickens. Could you perhaps run this by an officer or deputy?

I would also consider sending them a bill or taking them to small claims court.

Again, I am so sorry.

The main contractor said they won't come back over here no matter what.
Neither would I after having my life threatened over a chicken or a dog. People are whacked in their heads.

Still, I'm sorry for everything you've been through.. and can't say I would
have been any less livid or acted any different. What a nightmare.

Please share a pic of your lovely chicken friend if or when you're able.. as a way of remembering her better days.. your description really hits home.. and I shed (real) tears with you, just now. She will be missed. :hugs

I would prepare for burglary in the near future. Working men inside of your home that intentionally get your chickens killed are the exact same kind that would steal when not watched, and will break and enter now that they know your schedule and layout

I agree making a report to the better business bureau could serve as a warning to others just how irresponsible and unprofessional this group of contractors are. I'd also send them a bill! Sorry for your loss!

I am so so sorry! Losing any chicken so needlessly is always hard but especially when it's a favorite one. :hugs đź’”

I almost think what they did was criminal...to bring their dog and let it come kill one of your chickens. Could you perhaps run this by an officer or deputy?

I would also consider sending them a bill or taking them to small claims court.

Again, I am so sorry.
I thought about it but what I did is probably equally as much. Although I don't see how it could be, something came onto my property and started killing things. But I have a feeling if I did pursue anything with the dog owner it would be pointless or detrimental. The contractor through in some free repairs and they are almost a month ahead of schedule right now. They are working till 7PM 7 days a week.

I did buy a baby legbar chick and two Blue Laced Red Wyandottes. Although I think one of them is male. I can tell this little CLB is going to have a lot of personality. She was the runt and her coloring is exactly the same. She's probably the sibling of the one I lost. I tried to get my chickens to raise them, none of them were broody though. They were not mean to them in any way though. A couple of them were curious and one of my Orpingtons just sat there watching them for a very long time. I guess that means they'll be accepted when the time comes.

Back
Top Bottom