It happened. I knew it would. The neighbours complained.

guinea fowl galore

Songster
10 Years
May 12, 2009
Australia
I've been forecasting this for awhile now but today it happened the neighbour came over and complained about the roosters. I am aware that we have too many, an about half of them are going to be killed this weekend but I'm a chicken breeder, I need roosters. I live on a rural property so legally I am allowed to keep them but what am I supposed to do? I need some suggestions. I'm feeling quite down right now
sad.png

If you're allowed, nothing they can do about it so you could either 1.
tongue.png
or B. Go over with a rooster, all nice and processed, and tell them that the noise has been lessened significantly, however you still have a few for breeding. Personally, I'd go with 1, but my friends tell me I have the social skills of a boulder. Plus, really, you live in a rural area, what the heck did they think they were going to get?

Quote:
x2
lau.gif

Actually, it depends on how you feel about your neighbor...if you're friends, give them some eggs or a processed roo & act appropriately 'ashamed.' Ya know what? Strike that--if they were friends they wouldn't complain, living in a rural area.
I say ignore them, or sneak over & put a "for sale" sign in their yard!

He actually said he's had chickens so I think he'd be very please with free dinner. But I'm not like that, If I kill a rooster, I'm eating it.
*sigh* this has given me soo much more work now. I'm going to have to cover all the windows in some coops and cover all the tractors with sheets
hit.gif
it already takes me hours a day to tend to the chickens.

But if you're rural and you're within your rights with the roosters, you don't have to do anything - right? Unless you want to try to keep the peace, in which case a bunch of eggs could help - and perhaps that's what he's looking for.
Good luck - complaining neighbors really stink...

I'd just ignore him, but then again, if all my neighbors died in a tragic bus accident you wouldn't be able to wipe the smile off my face with a 4" putty knife.

Ian

If your planing on processing at least half of the roos on the weekend I'd think that would take care of the problem anyway. How many do you have and how many do you plan to keep?

Oh and while rural might be all well and good, make sure you know your local laws. I'm on a farm but have close neighbors, the stupid local laws say I can only have up to 20 poultry total. It pays not to rock the boat to much if your over the legal numbers. I had over 60 mixed hens, roos and chicks so I did keep that in mind.

To be honest the neighbors will get use to the crows. I only have one roo but he's a loud mouth. I really don't even notice any more. They will miss the crow when he's gone. Or as suggested bribe him with a few eggs. I'd personally keep your roo's. That's the real reason I moved to the country I'll get rid of my Roo at my discretion not my neighbors.

Back
Top Bottom