It has to be cute: Suggestions and Idea for making a feeder and waterer look like a old fashion farm

smilestill

Chirping
12 Years
Apr 6, 2009
These were, have been, and likely always will be the conditions on which I am allowed to own chickens: The coop, the pen, everything (including the chickens) have to be cute.

*scratches head*

This time around I have designed the coop to look like your stereotypical red barn, and would like the two feeders to resemble grain silos beside them. I have six feet of 14" PVC that I planned on cutting in half for each. I plan on putting metal bands around them, domes on top, and painting them appropriately, but I am having trouble with the actual mechanics, especially as my previous designs have relied on a ring or tray around the central column (which I would like to avoid for cosmetic reasons).

Can chicken nipples be mounted horizontally?

Its a very small flock (four birds).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

welcome-byc.gif
and love your coop and chicks!!! And...Most likely!! :)

Chicken nipples cannot be mounted horizontally. They are designed to work only if hanging down. I'm afraid you're going to be forced to use some sort of ring around the outside but so long as the rest of the thing looks like a silo I don't see a problem with that. Just paint the outer ring the same color as what is around it. It won't hide the ring but it will visually remove it somewhat from the silo.

If you're looking for a silo look, I saw in the thread about stuff people have invented where someone made a feeder with stovepipe, which would look a LOT like a silo, particularly if you put a peaked cap on it. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-to-make-a-15-heavy-duty-feeds-all-week-stove-pipe-feeder The one in the picture is quite tall, but you could cut the pipe to meet the size you need to match your barn.

I also saw in the same thread that someone made a waterer out of a plastic storage tub and nipples. I would think you could surround the tub with wood and design it to look like a tractor or something along those lines. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/631861/diy-thread-lets-see-your-inventions/30 (Post number 37)

--- most profound law; the law of the happy wife. To be honest it was past a long time ago when the idea of getting chickens was somewhat strange and foreign to her (where as now, I think she is much more excited about getting them again (after a move) than anyone else).

Making the silos still has me a little stumped. I have had some ideas, but not the idea yet.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom