It is hard to believe that this chicken is 29 weeks! Pics

BethieofVA

Songster
9 Years
Mar 27, 2010
Yorktown, Virginia
52367_dscn4013.jpg

52367_dscn4004.jpg

With two of her "sisters", all whom are laying. I don't get it and it is driving me bonkers!

Some chickens just develop earlier than others. They are very much individuals, just like humans.

what a weird comb, I see what you mean maybe there is something wrong with the comb that it isn't developing right, you may have trouble with her when it gets hot again if her comb and watlle don't develope, I'm not an expert but I'm guessing thats the problem.

Quote:
I know, crazy huh? She is red in the face, but doesn't really squat. I see her eating oyster shell and she pokes around in the coop, especially when the others are laying. She is so sweet though. Oh well...

My Hershey was 31 weeks old before she squatted and almost 32 weeks old before she started laying... BUT .. she lays a bigger egg and more frequently than my other hens .. so it was WORTH IT!!!

28464_091210_001.jpg

Oh, there's hope alright. My crevecoeur Blackie was almost 10 months old before she laid, then she became one of my better layers! I'm still waiting for my black silkie to lay... she's somewhere around 7 or 8 months old now.
roll.png
I imagine your girl will get there eventually.

Of my RIR all the same age it took one of my girls Stink eye almost 3 weeks after the others to start laying and her comb was tiny too. Then like overnight it grew and she laid. I thought oh well if she doesnt lay she doesnt.

Quote:
I know, crazy huh? She is red in the face, but doesn't really squat. I see her eating oyster shell and she pokes around in the coop, especially when the others are laying. She is so sweet though. Oh well...

love.gif
...they all don't have to lay to be loved---she looks sorta like my little red hen lucy.....
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom