It is not to do with moulting now - our chicken is close to death and we have no idea what is the ma

SuzanneW

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 1, 2012
France
It was suggested that she was moulting. However, things have DRASTICALLY changed!

She is weak; cannot stand on her own feet; off her food. Eyes are closed and she is shaking. I sense and inner struggle going on to stay alive, but feel her life ebbing away!!

They have powder put into their water to keep away from nasties.

She is currently in a box indoors and with a bit of food and water with this powder in.

Can someone give me any clues to look out for ie colour, etc?

Please help.

You'll have to explain more clearly her symptoms, not that there's any guarantee I'll be able to help. And, what powder is in the water? Check her poop, if you can. I'll keep an eye on your thread.

Also, there are links at the bottom of my post, in the signature, which can help you to both identify the problem based upon the symptoms, and then hopefully find the proper treatment(s).

Thank you for your reply. There really is not a lot more I can explain. Again, she is struggling to stay alive; like an internal something or other.

I have checked her and there are no mites on her. She does keep scratching behind one of her wings, but when I checked, no crawling things.

All I can say is that she is falling apart. Her eyes are continuously closed.

We managed to force down some water with this powder, which is full of minerals and vitamines.

I shall try to take a movie of her, so that you get to see her behaviour pattern.

Her wattle is normal in colour. There is no toilet to check but yesterday, she was vastly different and her toilet was completely normal.

Ok I have just taken what is hopefully a film of her, so you can actually hear and see her movements. The silver is to heal anything. It is rather a marvarlous product and has worked many times!

Her feathers are coming away and honestly, she looks ready for the pot!!!

please exuse the bordom part, ie the same picture. I was hoping that she would move more, but perhaps this way, you can study her.

Agh I can't put the film on here; it is too large.

Do you think I could send it to you via your email address?

Thank you for your reply. There really is not a lot more I can explain. Again, she is struggling to stay alive; like an internal something or other.

I have checked her and there are no mites on her. She does keep scratching behind one of her wings, but when I checked, no crawling things.

We managed to force down some water with this powder, which is full of minerals and vitamines.

I shall try to take a movie of her, so that you get to see her behaviour pattern.

Her wattle is normal in colour. There is no toilet to check but yesterday, she was vastly different and her toilet was completely normal.

Ok I have just taken what is hopefully a film of her, so you can actually hear and see her movements. The silver is to heal anything. It is rather a marvarlous product and has worked many times!

please exuse the bordom part, ie the same picture. I was hoping that she would move more, but perhaps this way, you can study her.

Upload it to youtube as unlisted and paste the link, or using a movie editor, compress the file.

Best of luck with the hen

One cannot always see the bugs. That is why I always dust them with poultry dust.

I'm so sorry.

You could try tube feeding.The instruction are here: http://forum.backyardpoultry.com/viewtopic.php?t=7933

I now see that your english is much better than my french. The video does not show anything different than you described.

The best advice I could give is to follow the advice given by casportpony in post he made elsewhere. Most especially, dusting for mites/lice and treating her for internal parasites (I will find additional information about that, in case that brand or compound is not available in France).

in another thread ...
This is what I do when one is not quite right...

• Do thorough exam. Check for lumps, bumps, cuts bruising, watch walk (if they can). Pray for poop. Poop can give many clues.
  • Weigh them on a kitchen scale to get baseline weight and then weigh daily.
  • If no cuts are present, dust for mites/lice, even if I cannot see them. Dust bird outside.
  • Deworm with Safeguard for goats (fendendazole) at the rate of .5cc/kg using a 1cc syringe without needle.
  • Bring inside and provide heat source and place on light colored towel. A warm bird is more likely to perk up and eat a little than one that's chiled.
  • If the bird is not drinking and the crop is empty, I will tube feed it a small amount of lactated ringers solution (LRS) or Pedialyte. Sometimes I'll do sub-q fluids instead. Never force feed or water a chilled bird.
  • If the bird does not start eating, and the crop has cleared, I will tube feed small amounts of baby bird food mixed with Pedialyte or LRS.
  • Once I have a good poop to look at, I might give an antibiotic.

Note that giving medicine orally and tube feeding can kill a bird if not done correctly. Here are a couple of links for you to look at:
http://forum.backyardpoultry.com/viewtopic.php?t=7933
http://www.peafowl.org/ARTICLES/24/

Again, I am sorry for the delay. Our power kept going off after the snows from Hurricane Sandy, but I will continue to check back often.

Back
Top Bottom