It LIVED! Two Orps, One Ameraucana(HELP, Julie in AL)

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
Surprise! The first Orp chick is black and so is the Ameraucana. The other little one we thought wouldn't make it DID. And she's in the brooder. And someone tell me if this baby is very light blue or splash!Julie, help us out here. I hatched two splashes before but by the time they dried off, they seemed more whitish than this one. Sorry about the bad picture quality-I'll have better ones later on.
DCP_8127.jpg

DCP_8128.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats! Is this your first black orp???Oh wait, maybe you said no youd hadnt had any black orp pullets...hmmm...

Oh well. In my limited experience, my one splash was very light. It was actually a yellow chick. I visited it yesterday at my sister in laws and it is blue with the black splash.

Very exciting!!!!

Here are the two splash Orp cockerels I hatched in two other batches of chicks for comparison. (In the second pic, the splash Orp the largest, almost white chick.) The one I just hatched does seem more blue than splash, doesn't it?
DCP_5380.jpg

DCP_6589.jpg

I'm thinking splash Cyn but I could be wrong...that's what my two splash girls looked like as chicks....need Julie's opinion!....lol

Glad you saved her!...I had a light brahma chick that did the same thing I thought I was going to lose her...I added acouple drops of vit & e and water in a dropper for her for the first few days didn't let her peck and eat right away...

This one would have died if DH hadn't helped it out of the shell. Very tough membrane and hard shell, even with really good humidity. Glad he did because I really wanted a light blue or splash pullet-please let it be a pullet!
I don't have any black Orps, no. I did have a black cockerel, but of course, I kept Suede instead.

I had gotten two blues, 2 very light splash almost lavender pullets and 1 black cockeral from Julie...beautiful birds...and I have a nice black pullet from Counselor ( I named her Ms. Crow)...to add to my flock...

No matter if she's light blue or splash, either is great with me. I think in a couple of days, it will become more apparent. I do remember the splashes looking silvery lavender when they hatched, so it could go either way. It also looks very much like my silvery blue Ameraucana pullet, Silver, when she hatched.
Velvet and Skye are very close in color, even though they came from different places, that I thought another shade of blue would be nice to have. Hope the black one is a pullet, but it's quite the little chunk of a chick, so who knows? I think I actually need about four more pullets total for the Blue Orp pen besides the two I have. And I can only house two more Ameraucana pullets in the small coop with Scout and his three ladies, so any extras will have to be sold/given away. My pal, Kate (helmstead) has first dibs on the first extra pullet of the blue egglaying persuasion, though.

Back
Top Bottom