It says I need to come here to introduce myself!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by nightstar, Sep 27, 2012.

1. nightstar

nightstar Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2012
    Hello, I am Bambi. March 30, 2012 I went to TSC and bought 6 chickens (3 RIR which are really red stars, and 3 bantams) and 2 ducks (mallards). The first night one chicken died (bantam). They all raised up pretty good, I could pick up the chickens. We ended up with only one rooster (bantam) he was beautiful. Black with the irredescent colors, tail that curled high in the air. he learned to crow and was so proud of himself. Then one of the reds dissapeared, then my sister caught the neighbors dog running off with the rooster. The neighbor has since gotten rid of the dogs. Then a mallard disappered. Since the rooster disappered we decided to let the one banty go to sitting hoping they were old enough to make babies. We also put 2 of the reds eggs under her too, which was a good thing because her eggs were not fertile. One of the red babies died while trying to hatch, the other one lived. it is white with a few black spots. We have them seperate from the other birds. The birds were free range and got locked up at night, until one day i heard the chickens making noise and looked outside where there were 2 new dogs trying to get to them. I ran the dogs off and put the remaining 2 chickens and one duck back in the pen. A few days after the chick was born, we brought it and momma back with the rest. No sooner than we set momma down, the duck tries to mate with her agian. (this is one reason why we separated them to begin with, he didnt try it much with the other chickens, and then quit completely when the other duck came up missing) he will not stay off of her so we had to seperate again. I thought someone was going to buy him off of me, but they never showed up. A few weeks ago, we bought 7 indian runner ducks, and 14 black 4-h sex links, but they are part red too... Quackers (the mallard) thinks he is a chicken. He even tried to roost with them. I was hoping when we got the indian runners, he would make friends and realize he was a duck, but that has not worked. today we get up and 3 of the sex links are dead.... This is what prompted me to finally join this site, to hopefully find out why. I have used this site for reference for months now... Well off to another message board to find out why!!!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Well, information given doesn't lead to a cause for your hens' deaths. One thing for sure - the drake should remain separated from the chickens. Not saying that his mating killed the hens, but the possibility exists.

3. Big A Chickens

Big A Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Palmetto, Georgia
    Hi, [​IMG] So glad you joined us!!![​IMG]

4. aaabirdman

aaabirdman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2012
    NY
    Welcome to BYC

5. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    :frow & :welcome from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

6. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio . So glad to have you aboard. :thumbsup

7. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    Hello nightstar! Greetings from Kentucky... so sorry to hear of your misfortune. Hope all your remaining birds make it ok!

[​IMG]

8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, nightstar, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community! Sorry to hear you are having a little bad luck and losing some birds. Hope you find the answers you seek here! Good luck to you!

9. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from washington state glad you joined us!

10. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by