It seems my ducks have befriended a skunk....

melissamerry

Songster
7 Years
Aug 17, 2012
Goleta, California
So last night, I had the ducks inside and they were begging by the back door to go outside to "hunt" for some bugs. So I opened the blinds up and
left to get my jacket so I could supervise their frolicking. When I come back, I'm about to open up the door to let them out, but I stop because there's
this skunk, sitting by the window like a cat, staring at the ducks. The ducks stare back, with curious cocked heads. I carefully chase the skunk away and
find her hole and cover it up.

Tonight, I'm out with the ducks in our little patio, same as always, searching for the perfect late night snack. Lo and behold, this skunk comes
crawling under the fence, waddles over to the ducks who are eating out of their duck bowl, and starts chowing down with them! Not a peep from the ducks.
They stop for a moment, give a nod hello, and continue with their munchies. I was in such shock. This skunk has such nerves. I managed to chase her out
again with out being sprayed. I moved some bricks over to where her entrance has been. She's now pacing the fence looking for a new way in. I never expected
to have nonchalant ducks.

I picked up a baby skunk off of the the road. We fed it canned cat food. It fell asleep in my hand. It was the cutest thing. They are said to tame very easily. We did not keep it. We took it to a rehabber. Sounds like it is looking for an easy meal. I would not let the ducks out with it at night. Just to keep them safe. Maybe put food outside your fence. My ducks chased off a ground hog last fall. Ducks can be over self confident though.

She really is adorable. Not full grown yet. I'm not comfortable at all with her being out with the ducks. Her claws look sharp. Plus, I can't imagine having to washing the foul stench off the ducks if they got sprayed. No way.

A ground hog? How big are those? I know what you mean about being overly confident. One of my girls chased away 2 wild drakes today when they got to close to her food. Apparently sharing with skunks is more acceptable than with other mallards!

A little different...but my chickens have befriended a stray cat. I noticed it hanging out in the yard with them. They don't seem to mind it and vice versa. The cat is skittish with people but not the birds. I went outside to let them out one morning and found it sitting in the top part of the coop next to my EE..it had slept there all night. I even found it sitting in their nest box...like it was sitting on eggs. Weirdest thing...but cute. I have cats and they don't even pay attention to the chickens..lol. I have a crazy polish hen that insists on sleeping in a tree and refuses the coop unless it is really really cold. So I went out to lock everyone up one evening and notice Muppet..my polish sleeping in a tree...and right next to her was the cat.
hu.gif

A little different...but my chickens have befriended a stray cat. I noticed it hanging out in the yard with them. They don't seem to mind it and vice versa. The cat is skittish with people but not the birds. I went outside to let them out one morning and found it sitting in the top part of the coop next to my EE..it had slept there all night. I even found it sitting in their nest box...like it was sitting on eggs. Weirdest thing...but cute. I have cats and they don't even pay attention to the chickens..lol. I have a crazy polish hen that insists on sleeping in a tree and refuses the coop unless it is really really cold. So I went out to lock everyone up one evening and notice Muppet..my polish sleeping in a tree...and right next to her was the cat.
hu.gif

How funny! Its strange to see what animals bond with each. Or tolerate. How funny would it be to see the cat hatch some chicks. That sure would be a story to tell.

My cat with one eye follows the ducks around the yard. When I first brought it home the other cats did not accept it and the cat stayed with the ducks for company. One eye tried to chase the ground hog off. The ground hog was a little bigger than my one eyed cat and they came its defense. The ground hog had always raised young under the shed and I kind of miss it. The babies would climb up on the patio furniture. Cute.

That sounds so cute! My ducks seem to hate every other animal. When we visit my sister they charge her silkie chickens. They steal the cats food and perch in his cat climbing tree. I thought for sure they would be hostile towards the skunk. I mean it sort if looks like a cat.

Back
Top Bottom