It struck again. Any thoughts/ideas for predator proofing?

JaciAlyssa

In the Brooder
Apr 19, 2021
For the past 3-4 days I've had to make a post about a chicken dying. I've lost more chickens this week than I care to admit. Today, it got Big Mama, the elderly chicken I got from my Grandfather before he passed. She was sitting on eggs too. But she'd been drug through a tiny hole in the fence and all I found was her head. Two chicks are missing as well. I think it's a weasel but my camera is too low quality to properly identify the animal. In my goat barn, I have a small run (picture below), do you think I could just line this with some kind of wire or the hardware cloth and move my chickens there? The run is too overgrown to get a good picture but it's just a rectangular field with the boards
PXL_20210607_191915904.jpg

Pictures of your coop where the chickens roost will help. A run needs to be secure top and sides and the sides need a little bit of fencing buried under the ground/fencing bent out from the run and buried to secure the bottom. I will see if I can find examples of this. Coop needs to be secure no with no large wholes windows secure with wire or fencing to make sure nothing can get in

Unless you bury the hardware cloth, the same animal will be able to dig underneath the fence.
Without a top anything could climb over it. Personally, I don't think it's very safe.

Pictures of your coop where the chickens roost will help. A run needs to be secure top and sides and the sides need a little bit of fencing buried under the ground/fencing bent out from the run and buried to secure the bottom. I will see if I can find examples of this. Coop needs to be secure no with no large wholes windows secure with wire or fencing to make sure nothing can get in
They just roost on top of these boards. I don't really have a good set up here, I think I may just have to find a better home for the chickens 😔

Back
Top Bottom