1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

It there a good price insulation I could use for my chicken coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ShellyBear, Jan 14, 2017.

1. ShellyBear

ShellyBear Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    I have both rabbits and chickens who deal with the cold pretty well, but I'm tired with the waters frozen all the time and the frost bite. I thought, well is there a safe insulation I can use?
    Thank you!

2. Leigti

Leigti Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2015
    Walla Walla WA
    What is your set up like?

3. ShellyBear

Jun 10, 2010
    I can't exactly describe it but it was a quick built shed from the previous owners, its about 80sqf and 8ft tall

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  4. wamtazlady

wamtazlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Kalispell MT
    Frostbite is often caused by too much humidity in the coop and not enough ventilation more often than by cold weather itself. It's been down to -22 F here. No insulation in the coop. Two 1 by 3 foot vents, one 2 by 2 foot vent and the pop door open all the time. No added heat. Water is kept outside in the run with sides covered in clear plastic shower curtains. Waterer is a plastic tote/ horizontal nipples/stock tank deicer and supplied the girls with thawed water even at -22. No frostbite yet and I think we're through the coldest part of the winter.

1 person likes this.
  5. ShellyBear

Jun 10, 2010
    Yeah I was wondering about that, my chickens rarly get frost bite or just a bit but I still don't like it. Oh wow that crazy I'm impressed, I'll check my ventilation

6. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    I am guessing "VENTILATION" is the remedy for your frost bite issues. Insulating in my opinion may only compound the frost bite problem.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by