Itchy Chicks

Angie032

Hatching
11 Years
Mar 11, 2008
Hi. I bought two baby chicks. They are about 2 1/2 weeks old now and I just start to notice that they are itching like crazy. The white one is getting thinning feathers from itching so much. I don't see any bugs on them. I've been using pine shavings for them, could this be causing them to itch? Or is this normal?
Also, I've been trying to pick them up everyday to get them used to me but they don't seem to wanna be bothered with people. Does it take a long time for them to get used to people? questions questions.
smile.png

Hi Angie,

I posted a question about itchy chicks just this morning myself! My babies are 9 days old and seem itchy. I have noticed they are really starting to have their true feathers coming in. A good point was made that they were probably scratching and preening so much to help the feathers properly open. That made sense to me. Are you sure your baby is losing feathers and not just getting feathers and not looking as fluffy because the feathers have not opened yet and it is losing it's fluff?
If you've looked them over well including under their wings and see nos igns of mites then maybe this is the case for your little ones too. I'm sure someone else will answer soon, but I thought I'd throw the answer I got out for what it's worth.

Hi Lea,

I have noticed that they've gotten wing feathers now. When I first got them they barely had any wings. They are defenitly getting in their new feathers, so you are probably right. I've checked them really good and can't find any mites on them. Poor little things, hope they get thru this stage quickly. I feel awful for them. Thanks so much for the post.
smile.png

Angie

Back
Top Bottom