It's a miracle - 4 of 4 double yolked eggs!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by GoldieHen, Nov 3, 2013.

1. GoldieHen

GoldieHen New Egg

Sep 12, 2010
    Hi everyone,
    I have something of a minor miracle to report. One of my hens started laying a week or two ago and has laid 4 eggs so far, ALL of which have been double yolkers!!! The first one I cracked into the pan was a pleasant surprise and I figured that would be it. Imagine my delight the next week when I cracked open a second double yolker and then a third, and finally this morning the fourth. Can anyone tell me about the odds of such an occurrence? Now if I could just figure out which chicken is responsible for this feat of magic.

I have 4 hens in all. Two Marans, one buff orpington and one Wyandotte. I've managed to observe the two marans laying and I know it's not from them. One Maran produces a smallish dark brown egg and the other Maran smallish light brown egg. The miracle hen lays a larger medium brown egg. So I think I've narrowed it down to either the orpington or Wyandotte but haven't managed to observe them on the nest just yet. Whoever is doing the laying does it rather intermittently and so far not when I've been home to see. At the bottom is a picture of the egg in question before I cracked it into the pan this morning. It's the large egg on the lid of the carton.

Anyone care to speculate?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. cypressdrake

cypressdrake Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2012
    Thibodaux, Louisiana.
    Two of my black copper marans lay double yolk eggs. My favorite hen Loretta started laying them back to back and about two months later we found her dead on the nest. These were some huge eggs. I guess she just couldn't pass it.

My other double yolker "Dolly" has been known to lay one here and there, but Loretta was a regular

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by