It's a sad day in our home.

This really just sounds like a heat of the moment type of reaction on your wife's part.

We have ferrets....I curse like a sailor and yell at them how much I hate them every time I have to clean their cage, pick up yet another pile of poop outside their litter boxes, or find something they have chewed up or hidden. I threaten to get rid of them on a near constant basis. And yet....I cried my eyes out when two of them had to be put down and will be getting my daughter another one for Christmas or her birthday.

I have also threatened on multiple occasions to turn one of my goats into a roast. Or feed our puppy to a bear (kidding). Yah I do love my critters even when they anger me to no end.
roll.png

This really just sounds like a heat of the moment type of reaction on your wife's part.

We have ferrets....I curse like a sailor and yell at them how much I hate them every time I have to clean their cage, pick up yet another pile of poop outside their litter boxes, or find something they have chewed up or hidden. I threaten to get rid of them on a near constant basis. And yet....I cried my eyes out when two of them had to be put down and will be getting my daughter another one for Christmas or her birthday.

I have also threatened on multiple occasions to turn one of my goats into a roast. Or feed our puppy to a bear (kidding). Yah I do love my critters even when they anger me to no end.
roll.png

You're right. It was a heat of the moment reaction. Fortunately we were able to work out a good solution so our dog can't hurt any more chickens.

Sorry for your terrible problem.
Think about it long and well, and come to the right decision for y'all.
Not all dogs and chickens mix well. This happens.

We do take her on walks when no one else is out (which is rare) because she likes to attack other people and dogs. We cannot afford proper training, and do not have the time to train her. I myself really do not spend much time with her because she will knock me down, jump on me, on, if she gets in a fight with another dog, I know I will get bitten. She has already close-to-killed another person's dog. They were nice enough to let it slide, not suing us or anything. Good neighbors, they were, to excuse that kind of thing without hesitating... I just don't spend much time with Miska, and neither does dad or anyone else. He mainly keeps her chained up and only wants her as a guard dog, which I think is cruel. She should just be put down, it would be much kinder. But that is so sad to think about...
hit.gif
If you are old enough to train the dog then you should take on the responsibility. If you are not old enough it should be put down or re-homed.

I saw your post, and it hit close to home. I hope after all this time that things have calmed down. I have 4 dogs, 3 of which (plus 2 neighbors' dogs) killed a total of 5 chickens back in May or June. I understand your wife's feelings as I felt much the same thing. After I calmed down some, I realized it was my fault for not taking more time to train them properly. All of my dogs pre-date the chickens (just started raising them in March). I did start with tying my dogs when the chickens were out. I then worked them diligently several times per day to teach them that the chickens were to be ignored. It took about a month, but they did learn that bothering the chickens was unacceptable. I will never trust them 100% because they are dogs, and dogs are predators. My best advice is to just stay with it. I have a lab/shepherd mix (10 yrs), golden retriever (8 yrs), basenji mix (2 years), and a 10 month old lab (not involved in the massacres but had to be trained). There is hope for older dogs.

Back
Top Bottom