It's been one bad thing after another- I really need help!

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

I can't see the suture, and even if I could, I wouldn't know how to sew back up again. Right now, she's laying down. I think she's tired from pushing.

This is the first time we've had chickens. We've raised them since they were a couple days old, and now they're about 5 months old. The vet that saw Princess said she was a little underweight.

I'm a bit tired from being emotionally drained, and I'm sure she's tired too. I'm going to let her rest for a bit before I try to help her again...

Edit: Yes, she is a pet, and I'd hate to have that $116.55 vet bill go to waste.
hmm.png

Last edited:
Sounds like the best thing to do at this moment is to head to the vet that's open and be prepared to pay the bill. If you don't, and can't get the stitch out yourself, you'll probably loose her. Sorry.
hugs.gif

Last edited:
What's happened? No update since Sunday. I have a prolapsed vent today--got the egg out, but can't keep the prolapse in. ???

Sorry, I just haven't felt like hopping onto the computer...

I was right. It -was- the suture that prevented her from laying. The vet said that he didn't think she'd lay another egg for another couple days, yet I was told to come back in two weeks to get the sutures out... *facepalm* Why would you suture an egg-laying chicken so tightly that she can't lay more eggs without having to remove the sutures?!

The egg she was trying to lay was quite a bit larger than her first egg, and it's more oblong in shape (and a very pretty light blue-green); the vet thinks it's a double-yoker. She had to have three shots of oxytocin to get it out. She hasn't had to lay another one yet.

After the egg was out, she was left there at the vet's just in case she had another one coming, and because I had work to go to. When I got back, I was told she was drinking water through out the four hours I was gone, and she pooped quite a bit. She also pooped on the vet (my mom says he deserved it, and I whole-heartedly agree).

I'm still keeping her in the bathtub at night, and I let her out for supervised play with the other chickens, most of which picked on her (yes, I intervened), except for today. I only saw one of her sisters picking on her, but it wasn't very much at all.

I just hope that if any complications have to arise, it won't be enough that I'll have to take her back again.

I'm just glad she's alive and I hope you are starting to unwind!

Job well done,
thumbsup.gif
!

Back
Top Bottom