it's crowing!?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cpwhip, Aug 23, 2011.

1. cpwhip

cpwhip Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2011
    Maryland
    I went out to let the chicks out and heard all the normal cluck cluck and peeping then
    heard a pathetic ERRR ERRR ERRRR they are only supposed to be 7 weeks old isn't that a little young?
    I will take pictures I have a strong feeling I got 3 Roo's out of the 6 and I'm not sure who to keep if any
    they are 2 Ameraucana and 1 splash which I am pretty sure is female and 2 blue copper marans..
    I will need your help to figure out who's who other than the splash:(

2. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Roosters have been known to crow very very early... uncommon but possible [​IMG]

3. cpwhip

Jun 22, 2011
    Maryland
    Quote:yeah I was shocked! like I said I had a feeling 3 are Roo's I also have 8/ 13 week old sexlink pullets that haven't layed
    yet maybe he is tring to be king Roo early before the other 2? the 3 I suspect are Roo's have good size red combs
    and waddles on the sides of their faces and all the others look ladyish with very small combs.
    I will get pics this afternoon I really need to find out who is who so I can decide who to keep if any, I was hoping for one Roo
    Blue CM to go with the female splash but I'm not sure if thats right either. will definately need some advise here...

4. Michandy

Michandy New Egg

Aug 23, 2011
    I had 2 roos out of 6 chicks - the first roo started crowing at 8weeks and the other didn't start til nearly 12 to 13 weeks!
    We actually assumed we only had one rooster up to that point [​IMG]

5. sunnysongbird

sunnysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    mine also crowed at 2 months old, and the other crowed much later at 5 months old. So it can vary. I have three chickens and two are roosters, the other I hope is a hen [​IMG]

6. cpwhip

Jun 22, 2011
    Maryland
    Quote:LOL so he's and early bloomer:) I really wish I new more about IDing these guys/gals that would help a lot
    the one that crowed is lil bigger then the other two Roo's in question and really a pretty blue color.
    I read if I mate a splash with a blue CM then I would get lighter blue CM chicks but my hope was to get one Black CM
    and mate it with the splash for 100% all Blue CM chicks lol I'm not even sure if thats correct or not.

7. cpwhip

Jun 22, 2011
    Maryland
    Quote:so far I'm 100% postive I have 8 RSL pullets one blue splash Copper Marans pullet and 2 Ameraucana one blue and one black
    both look very girly if there is such a term, then there's the 3 Roo's I believe are all Blue Copper Marans. I will do my best to get good
    pic's of all six and hope I can solve the mystery once and for all so far the crowing proves the slightly larger one is all boy, lol
    it's kinda embarrassing to be a dumb chicken owner but I'm tring to learn.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by