Its day 21 and no signs ....

Yes we candled and at least 7 had what looked like chicks developing....very dark in the bottom of the eggs. I had at least 5 that I would classify as swimming per earlier candles.
I just took my thermometer and put the metal end in some boiling water and it read 213.4 instead of 212, not touching the bottom of the pan. I am wondering if that means my entire time in the incubator was actually 1.4 degrees lower than I thought it was. Most of the time it stayed between 99.2 and 100.0....most of the time.
Could that be the source of my late hatch or would that mean death to the chicks? If they were behind schedule development wise, then that would mean that they went into lock down a day or so too early?? ( they went into lock down on my day 18 but maybe at a lower temp they were only day 16 development wise??) Does that make sense?

Quote:
Just let it run for few more days. I have the LG and the temperature swing 93 to 103.5 during the last batch and the chick hatch just fine. The best you can do is keep the humidity around 65+.

Well I am hoping that its just a late batch because of the temperature thing. I started with 12 and broke 2 on my own, I think I had 2 that weren't fertile. Of the 8 remaining I felt good that I had 5 definitely growing and 3 that were really just a visible vein. I do have 5 of my friends eggs in there with 3 definite growers and two questionable. I just knew that I would at least see some movement or hear something by now. I have seen some spots that I didnt notice before and it looked almost like some dry yolk spots...which could be just clear and look yellow because of the shell underneath. Today I had some clear looking spots on another one that were lined up horizontally on an egg. They could have been condensate that dripped down but I am not sure.

I am guessing it would be wrong to open up and candle looking for movement and do more harm than good.

Thanks again for all the responses

Amanda,

I think that your temperatures are fine and I would not open up the incubator to candle at this point. I almost gave up on one of my hatched once..i was going to unplug the incubator on the following morning when I woke up but when I did, they were born! Try to hang in there..
old.gif

My last hatch I had one still in the shell on day 23. Others had hatched so I went to open it to see why it didn't. Chick was alive and I killed it! I was so upset with myself.

I've had eggs hatch on day 19 and as late as day 25. Give them time. They may still be absorbing the yolk. Heatbreaking to not wait and watch a chick bleed to death.

Just be patient.

Ive also had late bloomers. Day 25 and one even on Day 26 and that ones belly wasnt even fully closed up yet. When I take my chicks out, I always up the humidity, pull the chicks out and leave the unhatched eggs in a few more days now. My late bloomers were due to a very low temp (86*).

WELL GLORY BE!!! Today is day 25 and at least I know I havent killed them all. I HAVE A PIP....only one so far tho and I heard a PEEP in the process. Dont know if it came from the one pipping but I heard it and actually saw the shell move out as he pecked at it.

THERE IS SOME LIGHT AT THE END OF THE RAINBOW lol.....I had planned on doing a candling on Monday or Tuesday which would have been the 26th or 27th day ....

Wooo Hoooo....... will update with more in a few hours if I get anymore pippers

Thanks again everyone for being the support group lol

See! See?!! Don't be too quick (or disappointed) to discard eggs early! I ALWAYS wait til day 25, mostly because I think I've screwed something up and it's just a late hatch.... and often I'm right. (Not sure what I've "screwed up" but who cares when there's a hatchling to admire!)

Congratulations! We're pulling for those pips and zips and eventual hatchlings!
wee.gif

Still just one pip...how long does it usually take the little guy to get out after the first break? I have seen him hit the break a few more times but not making much headway. He has a small piece of shell knocked off but it looks like the membrane isnt broken...if that makes sense.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom