It's finally happened!

chameleon

Chirping
Dec 23, 2016
Garden Route, South Africa
Almost a year after rescueing my first chickens, I my layers finally started laying! :wee I was dancing around the garden in excitement and my husband asked: 'What are you going on about, you're not the one that layed the eggs?' :lol:

I have a question though. I have six hens and it seems that they've all decided to start laying on the same day? Is this normal? They are free range, so I guess it's not impossible that they've been laying somewhere else and all decided to use the coop this morning, although I haven't been able to find eggs anywhere else. They looked like they were all waiting in line this morning and taking turns to lay. I don't want to break any good habits by interfering too soon, so I haven't been into the coop to count yet, but from the door I can see at least 4 eggs, and I've been checking regularly, so they're definitely from this morning. Also interesting, the first one in this morning that definitely layed an egg was a koekoek. I didn't watch them too closely after that because I didn't want to discourage them, but I have 4 koekoeks and 2 new hampshires, so it could be that the 4 koekoeks all started laying at the same time, as there seems to be 4 eggs.

Back
Top Bottom