its getting colder.......

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by dastardlydeed, Oct 25, 2008.

1. dastardlydeed

dastardlydeed Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2008
    Hatboro, Pa
    for those of you in areas that get snow.....how do your chickens handle this? especially free range? do you shovel the chicken yards?

2. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    I plan on shoveling the run itself this year.
    My grandfather free ranged his birds and never shoveled for them. He did plow them a path to the kitchen door though. [​IMG]

3. KKluckers

KKluckers Time Out

Sep 4, 2007
    I snow blow the yards that are not covered. My chickens do just fine without any heat. I just make sure to keep their coops clean and well bedded. Im surprised at how tuff these creatures really are. When moving over here I thought it might be to cold for chickens. I grew up in a area that is very mild and rarely snowed. The birds I had there always freee ranged. So my first winter I was really surprised at how they adjusted so well.
    Last winter we had snow to the roof tops here so it is a big change in climate for me. Im still not use to it even after five years. I already cant wait for March to come.

4. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Our run is roofed but I expect we'll get snow drift and need to do some clearing...girls are getting a lovely set of pantaloons, petticoats and dense overcoat...

5. KKluckers

KKluckers Time Out

Sep 4, 2007
    I forgot to mention. I have to put the roosters in a insulated coop at night with a heat lamp because their combs will freeze here. It is kinda a pain to move them every night and every morning back out to their girls. The roosters do fine during the day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by