Its Hatch DAY my Boody BO - PICS!!

I let my broodies take care of their own chicks regardless of time of year...its is SOOOO much easier & the chick seem so much happier. Of course mine free range. In the warm months they are out of the coop after a few days and roaming around learning to forage with mama, as time goes by she takes them further and further from the coop. Of course I have to help them back into the coop/raised nest box for the first few days to a week until they figure it out themselves. If the mamas would just walk up the ramp vs. fly to the top the chicks might just catch on sooner...but they all gather at the bottom of the ramp and look up in awe at what their mom just did with her wings!
bow.gif

BTW one of my best broodies started hatching out very young, around 24 weeks like yours. She has continued to set with some frequency and is an excellent mama once the chicks are hatched. She also has some of the longest staying power with the little ones. I have some hens stop mothering after 3-5 weeks (and one after 2, she just didn't get into it and has not been broody since) but she has been known to keep tabs on her kids up to 10 weeks!
love.gif

Quote:
Oh well I was just wondering. No worries. I am sure you will do what is right for you. I didn't think about her making such a mess.

I always keep my broodies outside in a seperate pen from the others. So no mess for me really. Now chicks in the house can make such a mess.

I had 10 EE's inside until they were 4 weeks old. Now I put them outside during the day in the broody pen and inside the well house at night cause it is warmer.

The don't have any light on them at all now and they are almost 6 weeks old. Soon I will leave them outside, as soon as I get the wire back on the bottom of the broody pen

Unfortunatly I have loads of predators here and have to have wire on the bottom.

Now I have 3 more inside one silkie and 2 spitzhauben, they are 5 weeks old now but not so much mess as the 10 were. These are all smaller breeds too.

I must be crazy.
lol.png

AWWW Sweet cheeks they are so cute congrats!!

My 2nd just hatched so I don't have a picture of her yet but here's our first one that hatched yesterday---camera date is off by 1 day--

36729_first_baby_102.jpg

36729_halloween_party_and_chick_007.jpg

this morning laying on top of the eggs--lol---

36729_first_baby_100.jpg

2 down 9 to go!

Back
Top Bottom