It's HOT! Will they use a pool?

kimntep

Songster
9 Years
Dec 30, 2010
Ocala, Florida
A few of you have talked about a kiddie pool for the chickens. Hubs says there's no way they'll get in it, but I want to give it a try. Even in the early evening, they are breathing from their mouths and have their wings out, trying to cool off. Other suggestions??

Re-fill their water as often as you can, and when you cannot re-fill, throw some ice cubes, or a frozen
water bottle into the water bowl. You could buy a watermelon, take out the parts you want, and freeze

the rims. Once frozen, give them the leftover rims and they go crazy! It cools them down fairly
well, to.
smile.png
You can freeze any kind of safe fruit or veggie. Fans are a big help, as the above
poster mentioned. I really don't think they will use a pool. My chickens wouldn't dare to, anyways
lol.png

Last edited:
I set my hose on mist and hook it up to spray in part of the run. My chickens seem to enjoy getting just the slighest bit wet. You can also freeze fruits/veggies...Give them a whole chilled watermelon. And if all else fails fill a few gallon jugs with water and freeze...Then put them in the coop and you have instant air conditioner. MY chickens will practically sit on these when its really hot...

I really dont think that they would go in a pool....I have 4 pools at all times for my ducks and geese and have yet to see a chicken in one.

They don't swim, but they will walk in shallow water to cool off. You're better off using a shallow pan of some type, that's easier for them to step into. You can place them in it at first, to help them get the idea. I have one that loves to walk or stand in water even when it's cool out. She's my spa queen and loves to soak her feet.
big_smile.png

My turkeys use a shallow pan or even a pool if its not to deep. They like it about toe deep

The thing to remember about misters and sprayers is to NOT let the feed get wet. When it gets hot outside and the feed gets wet, it will mold really fast. The mold is deadly to chickens.

I have tried the shallow pans of water, mine never liked it much. I just provide lots of shade, cool fresh water every few hours and a fan for the really beastly days. They seem to cool off more by dust bathing in the shade.
smile.png

Mine love the "kiddie pool" with typically 6 inches of cool water in it. They have no interest if the water is warm. So I keep the pool in the shade and change the water every 2-3 days.

Pools in the background beneath the coop overhang.
35063_chicken_5.jpg

ETA - I runs misters beneath the cedar tree they love AND in the run. They love them too. With the lower humidity, the air temps really drop to a comfortable level. A 17 - 20 degree measured drop in temperature occurs

Last edited:
Mine like to stand in the lid of a large rubber maid with just about an inch of water in it. Anything deaper seems to freak them out. Also be careful with the misters down here, and don't put them in an enclosed area/coop - it will just raise the humidity. When it is really hot I like to freeze bottles of water, take the cap off, and stick it into their waterer upside down. Otherwise, just plenty of shade and places to dust-bathe.

Quote:
I agree about the temp drop, but how does running a mister lower the humidity?

Back
Top Bottom