It's me again... lonely baby chick?

AuntieMim

Chirping
Apr 16, 2022
So! The chick I was so worried about who had pipped but took his sweet time hatching is in the little light bulb incubator- I moved him because he was crashing all the other eggs into each other and not getting very dry.
He's VERY lively. VERY. Every time the light turns on or you walk by (the incubators are on the kitchen counter), he goes crazy chirping and pecking at the front plexiglass.
He's fluffing up nicely and I even put a small stuffie pumpkin in there for him to snuggle- is there anything else I need to do? Will he eventually calm down, or is he going to hurt himself?

I'm hoping his siblings will start pipping soon... this is nerve wracking. 😁😬😰

Attachments

• 20220428_223054.jpg
    20220428_223054.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220428_223113.jpg
    20220428_223113.jpg
    352.2 KB · Views: 2
I have a question. Our hen is broody. 1 chick hatched and she left the rest of them. I went out to the coop because I had been gone for about 24 to 28 hours. Eggs are cold. I brought them in and put in incubator. Is there a chance any of them can make it?

I have a question. Our hen is broody. 1 chick hatched and she left the rest of them. I went out to the coop because I had been gone for about 24 to 28 hours. Eggs are cold. I brought them in and put in incubator. Is there a chance any of them can make it?
Was she already sitting the nest and gave up?

Do not give up on them. They still have a chance especially if the weather is not too cold there.

Thanks. I'm so confused as to why he hatched so much more quickly than the others- tomorrow is supposed to be day 21! I feel sorry for the little guy.❤
Could your incubator be warmer than it is supposed to be? This may cause early hatches at day 19 or 20. It may have hot / cold spots. You can check with a reliable thermometer after all the chicks hatch. Good luck...

Could your incubator be warmer than it is supposed to be? This may cause early hatches at day 19 or 20. It may have hot / cold spots. You can check with a reliable thermometer after all the chicks hatch. Good luck...
You know, that's an absolute possibility. I'm definitely going to check that out! I've kind of been thrown into this whole chick hatching thing.
The little guy is alllllll fluffed out and snuggling his punkin. I just hope he'll get some pals to snuggle as well!

Do not give up on them. They still have a chance especially if the weather is not too cold there.
Thank you. I did not give up on them. I brought them inside and none of them were moving when I checked them via candlelight. I did check 8 hours later very quickly and 5 or 6 were moving but slowly. May just be due to their size and ready to hatch. 1 has started piping. I may not be able to save all of them, but I’ll take what I can get. Although I was not at all wanting any more chickens. Lol. This hen literally went broody and hid. If it wasn’t for the loudness of her new chick, I would have never checked her other eggs. (Because I didn’t know where she was). None of our hens do it that way. They always lay in coop and everything is fine. This 1 actually hid them.

Back
Top Bottom