It's not pasty butt...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MyNameIs86, Mar 16, 2013.

1. MyNameIs86

MyNameIs86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    New Jersey
    So today I took 1 chick out of the incubator to see if it had pasty butt. But it did not. It was in the naval. It is black. So I thought I could help it a bit to try to unblock it. But it bled a little so i dabbed it to stop bleeding and put it back in the incubator. Here is a picture of the thing:

[​IMG]

I talked to someone via pm and her suggestion was to cull it to put it out of it's suffering. but the chick doesn't appear to be suffering. It is walking around like the others and falling asleep with the others. No sign of pain... no whimpering . I had somehting like this happen last year and the chick grew with the others. But if his appearance and other stuff changes I will take action, but not sure if it will be culling it. i want to help it live and not die. Even if I did chose to cull it I wouldn't know how. I also couldn't take killing it, it's soo cute and stuff. I know thats the hard part but I want to help it.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    LEAVE THAT NAVAL SCAB ALONE!!! By removing it you could kill it (it could bleed out or you could introduce infection).. also the other chicks will pick at the red.

praying for your chick.

God bless.

3. MyNameIs86

Feb 28, 2012
    New Jersey
    Thanks. i'm thinking about removing the chick from the incubator and putting it in the bator. It hatched yesterday around noon time. do you think i should put it in the bator?

I only tried to remove it because I thought it was the pasty butt but then i realized it wasn't and put him back.
    I had a chick with this last year and he grew... But i did put him in the bator by himself for a while before adding the rest to the bator.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Do you mean brooder?

5. MyNameIs86

Feb 28, 2012
    New Jersey
    yeah i mean brooder. lol. i typed that from my phone. lol.
    i might try to move most of the bigger chicks to the bator this evening or tomorrow morning. one has been in the bator since 1am friday morning since that is when it hatched.

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    What you can do is dab a little antibiotic cream (one without painkiller) on the stump and area to help prevent possible infection and leave it to heal and fall off by itself.

7. MyNameIs86

Feb 28, 2012
    New Jersey
    thanks. I now have 2 chicks with this.
    :( i feel like a bad mom although I couldn't do anything to prevent it because they hatched like that. How do they get that?

8. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I've had this happen once or twice with my chicks and I've wondered myself what causes this. The only thing I can think off is that instead of the "umbilical cord" detaching and the navel sealing up and the end of the hatching process the cord breaks off, leaving a small "stump" or scab and unfortunately, the possibility of navel infection or omphalitis (yolk sac infection). There is more info on that here, but it's graphic:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/mushy-chick-disease-yolk-sack-infection-omphalitis

I think the best way to prevent this is let the chick take it's time hatching, keep it in the shell until it's completed the hatch, the "umbilical cord" is detached and the navel sealed naturally before the chick leaves the shell.

9. MyNameIs86

Feb 28, 2012
    New Jersey
    Yeah. I let all the chicks hatch on their own. The only stress during hatch is being rolles by other chicks unfortunately. I now have three with naval isssues

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by