It's official, we aren't eating them, they have names.

furbabymum

Songster
7 Years
May 6, 2012
Burns, Wyoming
So crap you guys. Should have warned me that turkeys could be so utterly charming. I've never owned something so ugly and adorable at the same time. I haven't even named our peacocks but the turkeys officially have names. My husband and parents are a bit ****** off at me about it. The plan was to eat them but I keep exclaiming we can't eat Lucky she eats crackers out of my hand. We can't eat Patches I saved him. Oops! First rule of growing your own food, don't get attached. I broke it.

Well, they kill snakes too. There are benefits to keeping turkeys. Whoops though
roll.png

I feel the same way about my turkeys. My rule though is get attached to your breeders and eat their young. That way you never have to by poults again. It's a win win situation. Maybe you can convince your family it's a good option.

If you raise only a few this could happen.
If you raise a bunch, then harvesting is a blessing.

Once a flock of toms start to gang gobble the noise level and your tolerance level for some quiet time gets challenged.

The axe can bring peace.

Once a flock of toms start to gang gobble the noise level and your tolerance level for some quiet time gets challenged.

The axe can bring peace.

Yep!

I have about 5 Toms that I need to process.

The axe can bring peace.
I don't know if it'll have an impact on us. Lots of land and with guineas, ducks and peacocks already loud as heck turkeys might not have an impact. lol

I'm right with you there! I got in trouble with my brother the other day for posting on Facebook how cute my new turkey poults are.

He was saying, "I thought we were having turkey for Thanksgiving. I can see it now. You're a broken flock owner. I'm going to see a bunch of chicks, poults, and ducklings walking around you now, following you and chirping in glee, silently cackling at the fact that you fell for their charm. "Laura's a fool," they'll say. "Look how simple it was to fool her into thinking she needs us alive. Ha! Now we must discuss the plans for getting her to dispose of those pesky dogs, mwahahaha-oh, I mean, cluck!""

I put some thought into it. The original plan had been to get those kinda-sorta-stupid Broad Breasted Bronze/White turkey poults and run away as soon as they were safe and sound in the pen. We've had them before and they just weren't all that charming. But the feed store only had the standard bronze and as soon as I saw them hopping and playing around in their glass display/box, I was hooked. Everyone I show says they look ugly, but Lordy, I love them. I had the biggest scare the other day when one looked wobbly on his feet. Immediately, I freaked out and brought him inside for some TLC, only to have him poop on my dad and "cure" himself. Unlike our chicks, these little guys just run up to me and try to climb on my shoulder. One fell asleep in my hand, head rested on my finger.

I just can't be an impartial owner! I've tried so hard, have even processed three roosters that I kinda/sorta liked. I suck at naming birds, anyway, so this shouldn't be so hard. But it is. It sucks. Thanksgiving dreams for next year are crushed. Maybe two years from now, when these turkeys have babies that I probably won't like as much as their parents, I can have me some delicious Thanksgiving turkey. Until then, I'll just pretend that my babies are pets and smother them with love.
idunno.gif

You and your brother are hysterical! lol I have a feeling the men in my life are going to send me out with my mother and I'll come home to find my dad and husband have slaughtered the birds.
I'm right with you there! I got in trouble with my brother the other day for posting on Facebook how cute my new turkey poults are.

He was saying, "I thought we were having turkey for Thanksgiving. I can see it now. You're a broken flock owner. I'm going to see a bunch of chicks, poults, and ducklings walking around you now, following you and chirping in glee, silently cackling at the fact that you fell for their charm. "Laura's a fool," they'll say. "Look how simple it was to fool her into thinking she needs us alive. Ha! Now we must discuss the plans for getting her to dispose of those pesky dogs, mwahahaha-oh, I mean, cluck!""

I put some thought into it. The original plan had been to get those kinda-sorta-stupid Broad Breasted Bronze/White turkey poults and run away as soon as they were safe and sound in the pen. We've had them before and they just weren't all that charming. But the feed store only had the standard bronze and as soon as I saw them hopping and playing around in their glass display/box, I was hooked. Everyone I show says they look ugly, but Lordy, I love them. I had the biggest scare the other day when one looked wobbly on his feet. Immediately, I freaked out and brought him inside for some TLC, only to have him poop on my dad and "cure" himself. Unlike our chicks, these little guys just run up to me and try to climb on my shoulder. One fell asleep in my hand, head rested on my finger.

I just can't be an impartial owner! I've tried so hard, have even processed three roosters that I kinda/sorta liked. I suck at naming birds, anyway, so this shouldn't be so hard. But it is. It sucks. Thanksgiving dreams for next year are crushed. Maybe two years from now, when these turkeys have babies that I probably won't like as much as their parents, I can have me some delicious Thanksgiving turkey. Until then, I'll just pretend that my babies are pets and smother them with love.
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom