It's raining do I let the chickens out?

I just leave the door open when it rains and then they can choose to go out or not. They really love to run out between rain showers and find the nice juicy worms that have come to the surface

What kind of girls do you have? Silkies and water do not do well. What is your temp? Here in SE, Louisiana its very hot(now) and we have pop up thunderstorms. When this happens they all take some kind of cover(if they want too) under the porch, under a cage some head to the coop. If you have cover for them to get under. Sometimes I see mine working the yard in the rain. You know bugs and things come out in the rain. So use your best judgement. New girls at first might be afraid, My 5 week old ducks were terrified at first. It was sad for me to watch the panic in them at first but, I began to talk to them and they calmed down and got back in their pool. I think they thought they were being attacked from above. HA!

Thank you all for your prompt replies. I just love this forum since everyone is so nice and you get great advise. The temp is about 65. I don't have silkies - 2 Red Stars, 2 Americanas, 2 Silver Lace, 2 Light Brahms, 2 Single Comb Brown Leghorns and a Lavkenvalder roo. They are just a hoot and we are enjoying every minute of having and raising them. They must be happy have gotten 10 eggs to date and they started laying last week at 15.3 weeks old. Again, thank you all and have a great day wherever you are!

15 weeks is early to start laying, good chickens! Yes this is such a fun hobby and a great site with very helpful folks! My girls like the rain, but they do have the area under the coop, or inside the coop when they've had enough. I worried about that at first too back in March when I first let them out, but here in Western WA (we call it the Wetside of the state) if you don't learn to love the rain...you're in trouble.

Back
Top Bottom