Its ridiculous!

Try your local junk yard/land fill too...

We were just there the other day bringing in scrap metal and just looking into the piles of junk there are many many treasures. I found woven wire ( the kind for around the outside of our property/pastures). Enough to enclose 3/4 of our property. It was all FREE....What normally would of cost me about $900 in the store I got for nothing but a little work to get it out... Now I just have to get the posts so I can put it up...

I don't know about others but around here we call it "Dumpster Diving"...I love doing it...
I was at the dump one day. Taking odd and end things in and I just happened to luck out...I ended up getting a whole patio set.. Table, 4 chairs, yard swing, and an end table with 2 matching chairs. All matching set. All in very good condition. The only thing I had to do was get a plexiglass top for the end table.
The people who were throwing it away said they would rather buy a COMPLETELY NEW SET...instead of replacing a small table top. Well there trash was My treasure. I never would of bought new because we wouldn't have the extra cash handy, but getting it free at the dump was the next best thing.
Things are out there, sometimes just have to look and they might be where you don't expect them..
Shawna

We got one of our coop windows at a Habitat For Humanity Re-Store, too. The other came from a local house that was putting in replacements. Also try driving around the nearest city on their annual "big trash day". Witha little advance notice you should definitely be able to find free/cheap windows. The only downside is that you will have to modify your plans for odd-sized windows.

Quote:
I posted on Freecycle that we wanted windows to build a coop. I was inundated with offers! No one had doors or left-over lumber. We got about a dozen replies for windows and now have way more than we need. We took extra, just in case...
My husband found a door at the dump a few months ago and grabbed it. It's nearly perfect, even has a lace curtain hanging on the window!

Last edited:
we had a dump around here when I was a kid, I guess its not very Eco Friendly to say I miss it. It was like the gathering place that one day a month to get rid of your stuff and see what your neighbors had you might need.

Back
Top Bottom