Its spring time why are my ducks not laying eggs......

There are so many factors, as folks have already written. My Runners and Buffs are mostly resting from laying right now. I was just thinking about it, and wondering if giving them more greens as well as a little bump of protein in addition to layer ration and oyster shell free choice would work. It's just starting to break spring here now, and the weather has been all over the place. Quite warm for the first part of winter, then about a month of winter temperatures with little precipitation, now a very warm week but who knows what's next? The last two days the flock has seemed a little edgy. I did a complete clean out of their pen (which I do anyway every ten days or so), which did not seem to make much difference.

They got a little rattled yesterday, when the neighbor's dog came over for a visit. He was a gentleman, stayed a good fifteen feet away, but that was still way to close for the ducks' liking. And hawks have been around quite a bit. A couple of weeks ago a hawk took a squirrel extremely close to the duck pen, perhaps right off the top of the pen.

For me, since the ducks all seem otherwise healthy, I am fine with them taking a little more time off from laying much. I feel they can get run down if they don't rest. I want them for the long haul, as they eat slugs and pests and make fertilizer, regardless of the egg laying.

Hope your ducks are healthy and just waiting a little bit before beginning to lay again.

Out of my 6 adult hens, im getting 3 a day. One started, then stopped. I hope she starts again. Then theres 2 pullet hens that havnt started. Should get a egg from those 2 any day. I also have a mutt hen, she is only 2 and a half months though. Not expecting any eggs from her anytime soon.

Do you free range your birds? My welsh hens started once I let them free range. Weird...

Maybe they are molting, or maybe they need more food. For some reason in the past week our ducks decided they are STARVING and demand more food. When we walk out the back door they are all there, waiting, quacking, following until we feed them more.

Maybe they are molting, or maybe they need more food. For some reason in the past week our ducks decided they are STARVING and demand more food. When we walk out the back door they are all there, waiting, quacking, following until we feed them more.

I've noticed this exact thing from mine. Their food intake has probably doubled and they look at me like, "Well, thanks for finally deciding to feed me!" And then I feel bad. lol.

hmm.png
Same thing here they are so much hungrier than usual.....now they are eating normal now that i have fed them more. They make a lot of noise but i think they are happier to see me!
smile.png

wee.gif
thumbsup.gif

sad.png
One more thing i would like to say. My ducks stopped laying i do not now why the oldest ones are 2 years old some are 1 too. Why want they lay it's been 5 months they stopped at June!!!!
sad.png

bow.gif
HELP!!!
th.gif
help!!
barnie.gif
HELP!!!
hu.gif

Ducks do take long breaks sometimes.

Can you tell us

what do they eat?
what is their shelter like?
other animals around?
any changes in environment or routine?
source of water?
flock makeup (breeds, males, females, ages)
free range?
any other details . . . .

feed: lay mor'
shelter: doghouse off the ground with straw in it
animals around: no same
environment change: none
water: in summer and spring they get a pool in the pool
:breed: Cayuga & sweetish mix
sex: 1 male 6 female
free range: some time they go out in the evenings

Back
Top Bottom