It's that guy from Yorkshire UK again!

canon can

Hatching
11 Years
Apr 16, 2008
Yorkshire, England
Mornin all,

Well I am amazed on how many of you have replied, thank you all. It is strange how there is a huge pond between the UK and the USA, we speak the same language but often the meanings are different and that includes spellings.....well that is my excuse!
It is like French fries, here in the UK they are often classed as posh, thin, goes cold quickly poor excuse for a chip!.
We call them "CHIPS" made from a good potatoe, cut to the length of the potatoe and sliced to a minimum of half inch square. Cooked in very hot beef dripping untill golden brown. They stay hoter longer and taste .....well like chips should do! The secret is not to eat them every day, beef dripping is not that bad for you, we may have them once a week. Beef dripping is much better for your fryer also, as vegatable oil goes real claggy and ruins your fryer.
Any way chickens!...chips go well with chicken of cause!
I see by the forum, one or two people have made pigglet feeders. I like the idea, do the chickens know when to stop eating or do the just eat & eat like dogs? and if so how do you get around it?
Horsejody...where in Yorkshire did you spend your time?
AussieSharon ...was it Oldham UK where your Mum and Grandparents are from? If so it is about 75 minutes from us!

Well thats all from me for the moment
Canon can (and does)

Hey Canon, good to hear from you and welcome!

My chickens free range most of the day and I have a piglet type feeder in the coop. I keep it filled with commercial feed. They by no means abuse it.

It is their least favorite food. They would rather eat anything else and will only go to it if they are cooped up or just want a last nibble before they jump up for the night. Mostly, they just want to eat grass from my lawn.

I also keep some oyster shell in a "free-choice" feeder. They don't eat much of that either.

Matt

G'day and yes it was Oldham UK. My Mum and all her side of the family are Poms!
smile.png
Reading about chips made me so hungry and miss Australia! There are no good fish and chip shops here in the US ( none that I have found anyway ) oh and what I wouldn't give for some pickled onions too... ok enough about food haha.

My Grandma used to talk about going to Yorkshire as a girl. She was in the British Land Army during WWII and my Grandfather was a Red Beret. When I hear the word "Yorkshire" the first thing that comes to mind is Yorkshire Pudding! MMMMM

Hopefully one day I'll be able to make the trip over!

Hello canon can.

I'm from WA State. I am 1/2 "English", as my grandmother moved here from Leicestershire when she was in her late teens. (during/right after the war) She is 80 now and lives in Missouri and she is still as devoted to her old country and the Queen.

You would get a kick out of her accent now. It is English with a "Southern Drawl".....

Ok, gotta ask, have you ever eaten Yorkshire Pudding? I am the only one in the family that enjoys it and no one around here knows what it is.

When I hear the word "Yorkshire" the first thing that comes to mind is Yorkshire Pudding! MMMMM

LOL just asked about that!!!! I may have to make some tonight, without the roast beef......​

Hey Canon,

Welcome. I am new here myself.

I had the good fortune to spend some time in Yorkshire a couple of years ago. Beautiful place!

Who wouldn't like Yorkshire Pudding?

Hi - I use an open feeder that holds about 25 lbs. of feed for my chickens. I never let it get empty and they don't over eat. As already mentioned, they would much rather have any free range food than that ol' pellet stuff!!
smile.png

Personally I'm very fond of the word you use across the pond for chickens.... chooks. That's a neat word.
wink.png

Who wouldn't like Yorkshire Pudding?

It's not really pudding. It's a sort of bread made of eggs, milk, flour and beef drippings. It is usually served with gravy. From what I understand it used to be a special treat during hard times as there was not cake/candy.

I can sit and eat a whole pan of it.​

Back
Top Bottom