Its the end

PaulaSB12

Songster
9 Years
Dec 6, 2010
My mother is having morphine and is unconscious and we have been told she is dying now. There is no hope and no more time. The hospital is trying to fast track her to a hospice so she doesn't die in hospital but they don't think they have the time. It is so serious they have said come and visit at any time hospital visiting hours no longer apply.

Oh, that is so sad! I am so sorry! I've been through this exact same thing with my ex-mother in law. She had liver cancer, with no chance of recovering. She was on morphine and went unconscious. (Into a coma.)

My sister is a registered nurse. Here is some advice for you, and this is very delicate.....
hugs.gif

When my MIL was in the same state as you, my sister the RN advised the family to take her off the IV fluids. She would still get the morphine, and would feel no pain. The IV fluids may keep your mother going for quite some time, which doesn't help her at all, and really causes alot of stress to you and your family, watching her linger with no hope of recovery. I talked with the family and the doctor, and he agreed that it was very insightful and a good thing to do to end her suffering, and the suffering of the family as well.

It is not a cold thing to do, it is a caring thing to do......Take care and I am thinking of you and your mother!

Sharon

Back
Top Bottom