Its the end

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by PaulaSB12, Feb 2, 2012.

1. PaulaSB12

PaulaSB12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    My mother is having morphine and is unconscious and we have been told she is dying now. There is no hope and no more time. The hospital is trying to fast track her to a hospice so she doesn't die in hospital but they don't think they have the time. It is so serious they have said come and visit at any time hospital visiting hours no longer apply.

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Oh, that is so sad! I am so sorry! I've been through this exact same thing with my ex-mother in law. She had liver cancer, with no chance of recovering. She was on morphine and went unconscious. (Into a coma.)

My sister is a registered nurse. Here is some advice for you, and this is very delicate.....[​IMG]

When my MIL was in the same state as you, my sister the RN advised the family to take her off the IV fluids. She would still get the morphine, and would feel no pain. The IV fluids may keep your mother going for quite some time, which doesn't help her at all, and really causes alot of stress to you and your family, watching her linger with no hope of recovery. I talked with the family and the doctor, and he agreed that it was very insightful and a good thing to do to end her suffering, and the suffering of the family as well.

It is not a cold thing to do, it is a caring thing to do......Take care and I am thinking of you and your mother!

Sharon

3. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2010
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. KBlue

KBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Katy, TX
    [​IMG]

5. hispoptart

hispoptart Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    NW Colorado
    [​IMG][​IMG]

6. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    I'm so sorry Paula. I'm thinking of you.

7. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    I'm so sorry. My heart goes out to you and your Mother.

8. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

I'm so sorry, Paula. Thinking of you and your family.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

9. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    It is one of the hardest things we ever have to do. I will keep you in my thoughts.

10. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

I am so sorry. I hope being there for her brings you comfort. [​IMG] God bless you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by