It's too soon but looking for an early guess on possible Roo

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MydearWatson, May 14, 2011.

1. MydearWatson

MydearWatson Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    CT
    They are only two weeks old but by the way the Blue Orp stands it makes me think she might be a he. From the pic you can see she is often more upright than the others but other times she has her head down and looks very "hennish". All three Orps have the start of their combs and they are all the same size. She is huge, and the most curious but is also the biggest scaredy cat of all of my chicks. She often vies for top spot but my leader is a Black Orp who always wins the battle. Do any of these things tip you off one way or another?

Any thoughts?

[​IMG]

P.S. I think the Dolly Parton crop on my Black Orp (shes the leader btw) is hysterical! [​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  2. Sharksandguitars

Sharksandguitars Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    Watson, LA
    Im not sure, but one of my 3 chicks is already getting spurs. It is also the most dominant. Oh, they are also two weeks. I read, though, that even the hens can grow spurs....so who kniws?

3. MydearWatson

Sep 20, 2010
    CT
    My Blue doesn't have any signs of spurs and I definitely dont think she is the most dominant although she tries so hard to be, bless her heart! [​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Sorry, but 2 week old chicks don't get spurs. I have an 11 month old roo that barely has his spurs. All chicks, regardless of sex, can show spur bumps which is totally different.

To the OP - If I had to take a wild guess, I'd say the blue/gray chick in the back, but that is a totally wild guess based entirely on stance. Be patient grasshopper, just a few more weeks and gender will be alot more obvious. [​IMG]

5. MydearWatson

Sep 20, 2010
    CT
    Can a hen have a stance like that? She is especially like that when they are scared, like they are in this pic. They were out of their brooder during a cleaning. Which are the best times for us since we get to play with them!! [​IMG]

6. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Aww, so cute! I have two Orp chicks in the brooder now. One is Lavender, and the other is a split Isabel, and just gorgous! With very little chicks, I look for slow feathering to determine whether it's a boy or girl. So far, I've been right every time, but it's probably luck. The males seem to feather much more slowly than the females.

Truly though, I'm sure my method is not fool-proof. The roos usually keep their fuzz longer, just getting a little bit of wing feathers first.

Good luck! I hope it's a hen if that's what you want.......

7. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    My Brahma 'hen' had a stance like that and now it's a rooster. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by