quaasi

Songster
Mar 12, 2018
Warrensburg, NY
I was introduced to chicken raising about two years ago when my roommate (who grew up around chickens) decided to start her own flock at her new house! I've helped raise many chicks but I finally bought my very own about a week and a half ago and they give me life.

We probably have about 30 chickens total, 39 counting the chicks I currently have in the brooder + the ones that should be arriving in April! The flock consists of columbian wyandottes, golden laced wyandottes, buff laced polish, black sumatras, buff brahmas, jersey giants, black copper marans, a lavender orpington, egyptian fayoumis, an andalusian, a couple of easter eggers, and several mixed breeds! They're all guarded by a golden laced wyandotte rooster, along with my roommate's favorite, a columbian wyandotte rooster, and his son, a black sumatra mix.
My current chicks are a couple more easter eggers and some amberlinks, and the chicks that should arrive in the mail are buckeyes and new hampshire reds.

I frequently use this site when we're experiencing a problem and need to see if anyone else has had an experience similar to ours, which is usually the case but I joined because it'd be really nice to have more specific answers haha!

When I'm not relying on peepers to get me through the winter, I enjoy drawing (mostly painting surreal stuff), playing flightrising, video games, and gardening! I start my second year in landscaping at a local theme park next month and I have a wonderful pointer/foxhound mix who has become best friends with a hen we've kept inside over the winter (treating for scaly leg mites + she's feather footed, ouch)! My roommate also has a cat and I guess he's alright.

G’Day from down under quaasi :frow Welcome!

I am pleased you delurked and hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

Including your general location on your profile will assist others. Location, climate, season etc can be important factors when members are responding to any questions you may have and vice versa.

You might want to also Find Your State Thread and pop in and say hello.

BYC has Topic of the Week discussions which I have found to be a great resource, informative and sometimes entertaining; so definitely worth checking out.

If you would like to share Pictures and Stories of your flock or other critters, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

Back
Top Bottom