I've been busy...writing a book

ChuckenGirl

Songster
12 Years
Dec 22, 2007
Maryland :)
Yeah, i havnt seen ya'll in a while!
been busy with school, friends, chickens and a bunch of other stuff which now involves writing a book!
about...
owning a farm now-a-days in the economic state but i have reached a dilemma...
i need an answer from all of my BYC genius' "blog mates" hehe...

So...
during the depression does anyone know how they kept there animals safe? from not being stolen or even now-a-days with people not being able to afford food?

thanks for all the help!

Sad, but I have started locking the coop and run. We had a homeless person 'move in' to the park across the road and almost immediately homes in the neighborhood were being broken into.
We don't 'free range' our birds so we're pretty lucky not to have 'lost' any.

Good luck with your research.

There have always been "theives" out there. In the old days, you could shoot a horse or cow theif if they were caught in the act. I am sure many folks also locked up their barns. It was also the norm for families to own rifles and keep them loaded by thier beds at night.

the old days were rough. Now I think that the criminals have more of the law on thier side than the victims do.

We live in the country and don't own a gun, nor lock up my chicken house. I have thought about it, in passing. We are going to put a gat up going down to our barns so that would help. I am more concerned about safety as we raise English Bulldog pups. I don't put any signs out in front of our house advertising anything. I don't want to "invite" trouble.

I lock my coop and run now.
I was missing eggs for a week. One day I was getting eggs, next I wasn't. Then it snowed and I could see that someone had climbed the fence and gone and taken the eggs. Obviously people here are not the brightest colors in the box.
roll.png

Hi ChuckenGirl! I'm also writing a book about farming... have you been through the whole query letter/agent process yet? I'd love to chat about the ups and downs of writing and trying to publish books....

My grandmother said that her father used to let homeless men work for them. Sometimes he just gave them food for free. I don't remember my grandmother saying that she was very afraid during that time period.

I am writing a book too, but it has nothing to do with farming.
frow.gif

Quote:
It won't ever be published. I write for my own enjoyment. Um...it will probably sound dumb but my family is begging me for more chapters. Apparently teenage boys like my writing because even their friends are reading it.

It is a fantasy story with no elves, dwarves or orcs or magic. LOL I am just enjoying the creation process.

I have 200 pages and can't stop writing because my sons get angry at me if I do. LOL Everyday, I add about three to five more pages.

I can't imagine how I could even describe the book in order for a publisher to take it seriously. So, it will just be a family secret.

Back
Top Bottom