I've done it again! Incubating w/ a desk lamp!

Rainbow1036

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 11, 2009
Last year right after July 4th I found a single duck egg in my yard, I took it inside and put it under a desk lamp and used a $1 thermometer from walmart to monitor the temperature. That egg hatched August 11th and he is still alive today enjoying our back yard and creek. On July 8th I walked out to feed the wild ducks and found 2 eggs randomly scattered in the grass and 2 eggs in the creek. I picked up all 4 and set up my desk lamp again. Today I candled the eggs for the 1st time and found out that 2 of the eggs were infertile but the other 2 are alive!

The link below is a video of me candling one of the eggs, interestingly the 2 eggs that are alive are the ones that I found laying in the water in my creek, the 2 I found on the land were the infertile ones!!

big_smile.png
Might be time to invest in an incubator.
idunno.gif

Yea, I thought last year was a one time thing! Now I guess the word is out that if the ducks dump their eggs in my yard that they will get incubated for free! lol

I did that as a kid! I incubated 4 of our ducks' eggs under a 75 watt bulb in a shoe box w/ washrags - the room had a humidifier so I guess that kept the humidity up and I turned them once a day - but 3 of the 4 eggs hatched out cute pekin babies
wink.png
- nothing sophisticated to it - i didn't even have a thermostat back then - it was just a little project to raise my own babies I was 9 yr olds.
tongue.png

I have the eggs in a shoe box with several cloths formed into a nest shape. I check the eggs every few hours to adjust the height of the light to control temperature and turn them at least 2 times a day (sometimes more if I'm home) I spray them every night b4 i go to bed. My parents arent too happy but my duck will be glad to have 2 new roommates in his pen! (once they grow up)

Everything I learned about hatching and raising ducks I learned from this site and "storeys guide to raising ducks" when i started with the egg last year I had no idea what to do since I had never raised anything b4 but I've learned quite a lot!

Last edited:
Im on day 13 with a single duck egg I have it cradled in a towel in a shoe box with a hole cut out and a light hanging above it definitley alive I see heart beat eye feet and everything I just worry about it hatching I have a sponge near by and I mist it and rotate it people are saying it wont hatch because humidity levels did you have to sa wet paper towel or help in any way while it hatched???

Last year right after July 4th I found a single duck egg in my yard, I took it inside and put it under a desk lamp and used a $1 thermometer from walmart to monitor the temperature. That egg hatched August 11th and he is still alive today enjoying our back yard and creek. On July 8th I walked out to feed the wild ducks and found 2 eggs randomly scattered in the grass and 2 eggs in the creek. I picked up all 4 and set up my desk lamp again. Today I candled the eggs for the 1st time and found out that 2 of the eggs were infertile but the other 2 are alive!

The link below is a video of me candling one of the eggs, interestingly the 2 eggs that are alive are the ones that I found laying in the water in my creek, the 2 I found on the land were the infertile ones!!

Never knew you could do that!

Back
Top Bottom