Ive got a butt picker on my hands!!!!

Hwlchickmama

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 12, 2011
I noticed the other day that one of my runts was "at her self" upon exam i noticed she had some poo caked on her backside. I washed it and dryed her off, all well and good, or so i thought... The days after i noticed her but fluff was almost gone and my other girls were following her around plucking her fetheres out!!!! They arent at her vent (thank god) just the feathers how do i get them to stop?!?!? I was thinking a chicken diaper "out-a site out-a mind"?!?!
sickbyc.gif

I have the same problem!! that's actually a really good idea. either that or seperate her from the flock for a while. I havent done that b/c its winter and she'll die in our spare coop all by herself. i tried using this stuff called blu-kote. its an antiseptic but i was told it would also discourage the hens from pecking b/c it tastes bad or something. so far it hasnt really worked. but the diaper seems like a great idea. even if the out of sight out of mind thing isnt true, theyll at least have a problem getting to the area to peck it, which might make them less interested.

Depending on coop size, why don't you put her in a metal dog crate til healed? Am I reading correctlybthat she lost feathers from the poo, and now they are picking bare spot? I have a small coop, so I have a large crate outside, where injured parties can be seen but not pecked. Then at night I put the injured bird in a smaller cat carrier in coop. This way they are never sepersyed from flock, but they are safe. Good luck!

I did the spray too!! Seemed to draw more attention due to the litter and dirt stuck to it!! Yesterday and today i gave them more treats (a head of cabage and lettus, carrots n corn scratch) as well as a new dust bath. she seems happyer and the other girls are preoccupied w/ eating!!! Next step is the diaper if food stops working....
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom