I've got a Holly Hill Chicken

PrettyAsAPenny

In the Brooder
Apr 12, 2017
Hello Everyone,

I saw this post while searching for information to help me with our new chicken, and decided to sign up so I could ask some questions. This post was from 4 years ago, and so I figured no one posts on that thread any longer. Is Righteous Rstr still on this site?

I live in Holly Hill, FL, and my neighbor-friend had many chickens and the neighbor directly next to her wasn't happy about it at all. Of course, after numerous altercations, a dead chicken, abusing other chickens, and so on, CODE Enforcement was called by the upset neighbor, and my neighbor-friend was told she could "only have 1 chicken. Or Maybe TWO? Or the number might be changing soon..." It was very vague, but the outcome was that she had to get rid of all but one chicken for now.

So...all of the neighbors surrounding her (except the irate one) accepted a chicken to place in our front yards so that she would not lose her babies. Long story short (or maybe it wasn't so short)...we now have a chicken, and I'm trying to learn more to know what to do and what my rights are in Volusia County.

The post I attached earlier was from 4 years ago, but the information was on the track that I am looking for to help me know what to do for my area. Is there anyone from this same area who might be able to assist me with some of these questions?

• Who do I contact to find out 'how many' chickens we really can have?
  • Who is in charge of making the decisions about chicken ownership in Volusia county?
  • How do we go about requesting changes to any current chicken laws for our area?
  • Are we allowed to have them in our front yards? [I would call us Chicken Street now. :) ]
  • What are some dangerous plants to be aware of in the Daytona/Holly Hill area that our sweet Penny (Penelope) might get into and be hurt by eating?
  • What are the predators to worry about in Volusia county?
  • Are there free classes or program or groups to get involved with in the area to learn more, share ideas, and encourage one another?

Thanks for reading, and I hope to become as knowledgeable as you all one day!!

PaaP

Hi and welcome to BYC. I just checked and the member that you mention does not seem to have posted anything for a few years.

I'd say that asking most of your questions on this forum would be most helpful - https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/37/local-chicken-laws-ordinances-and-how-to-change-them

Here's a list of plants toxic to chickens - https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/627282/comprehensive-list-of-poisonous-plants-and-trees this may not be exhaustive, BTW.

Re: local predators - I'd suggest joining your state thread - https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread#post_3239224

Good luck
CT

welcome-byc.gif

G’Day from down under PrettyAsAPenny
frow.gif
Welcome!

As you have already received links to some good starting points, I will just wish you all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

Thanks.

I will re-post my questions to the law ordinances thread.

I already checked on that search by state, through that link, and I could not find Volusia county, Holly Hill, or Daytona information in there. I will post the question there, though to see if anyone can help point me in the right direction.

Thanks for the warm welcomes, and speedy replies. :)

PaaP

Thanks.

I will re-post my questions to the law ordinances thread.

I already checked on that search by state, through that link, and I could not find Volusia county, Holly Hill, or Daytona information in there.  I will post the question there, though to see if anyone can help point me in the right direction.

Thanks for the warm welcomes, and speedy replies.  :)

PaaP

Good luck - hope it goes your way! :fl

Back
Top Bottom