I've got Buttons!

awesomefowl

Argues with Goats
9 Years
Jun 5, 2010
raxacoricofallapatorious
I'm hoping my dad will let me buy a pair of Button Quail
celebrate.gif
from a nearby 4-H member who is breeding his.
wee.gif
I 'd have the choice of Cinnamon Pied or Blue-breasted Pied. Anyone have pictures of these colors? IF I can get them!
fl.gif

Last edited:
I got the button quail!
celebrate.gif
They're.....I've forgotten what the color is called already.
hide.gif
Very cute! They are in a borrowed hamster cage for now; I'm planning on building one of my own ASAP.
Their names are Pyramus and Thisbe, after the old Greek myth (tragic lovers:rolleyes:
lol.png
).

Anyway, here is Thisbe:

59664_button-quail_030.jpg

And handsome Pyramus:

59664_button-quail_031.jpg

59664_button-quail_032.jpg

59664_button-quail_035.jpg

I'll take some better photos later.

love.gif

Quote:
Very gorgeous looking birds
big_smile.png
So adorable!! I'm really no expert, but they kind of look like red breasted buttons...not sure. There are a couple of button experts on here, so they'll definitely know
wink.png

Just a quick question, what is the bar size like on the cage? I was thinking of keeping some Coturnix quail in a rabbit cage that's like a large form of the hamster cage, but I'm worried the bar size will be too big for them...Any ideas?
big_smile.png

Glad you got the quail. Hope everything goes alright for you
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
What markings are specific to that type? I've been trying to learn all the different colour types for Button and Coturnix quail
big_smile.png

Quote:
The cage I borrowed until I build my own IS a hamster (or gerbil) cage. I believe the bars are 1/2", which keeps them in fine. I wouldn't go much larger though. If you were going to use a cage with larger (2"+) bars, I'd make a covering out of window screen (Mrs. Fluffy Puffy has cage like that on her BYC page, I think) or hardware cloth, at least around the bottom. (The person I got the quail from pulls out their primary flight feathers so they can't hop up and bash themselves against the top of the cage).
The cage also has branches inside it so the quails have a place to hide.
I'll post some photos once I build my cage. Pyramus and Thisbe have calmed down (somewhat) since last night. But I may move the cage into my room so they can have more quiet.

Quote:
The cage I borrowed until I build my own IS a hamster (or gerbil) cage. I believe the bars are 1/2", which keeps them in fine. I wouldn't go much larger though. If you were going to use a cage with larger (2"+) bars, I'd make a covering out of window screen (Mrs. Fluffy Puffy has cage like that on her BYC page, I think) or hardware cloth, at least around the bottom. (The person I got the quail from pulls out their primary flight feathers so they can't hop up and bash themselves against the top of the cage).
The cage also has branches inside it so the quails have a place to hide.
I'll post some photos once I build my cage. Pyramus and Thisbe have calmed down (somewhat) since last night. But I may move the cage into my room so they can have more quiet.

big_smile.png
good luck with that. Your going to love it when they settle in and the male decides to crow at 3 o'clock in the morning. lol
My blue breasted pair is in an aquarium in my room, and (i don't mind but...) my pair likes to make noise in the middle of the night.

Back
Top Bottom