I've had a Handicapped Duck for over 4 months. What do I do now?

RooandherRooster

Songster
Jul 25, 2019
Hi everyone!
Long story short, I have had a duck since 1 day old that was born with a situation. She seemed to be off balance and got only her, they didn't think she would live. Well she began leaning to the left at about 2 weeks old. We had to be there for her to eat and drink and we got her to swim, but she only did well if it was too deep for her to reach. She is now 18 weeks old and is full grown except that she is underweight. She has all her feathers grown in but she has to rely on me. She is a Khaki Campbell duck and she is a sweetheart! My grandpa made a wheelchair for her but she can get out of it if her whole foot can reach the ground. And she doesn't have enough grip or strength in just her tippy toes. So I'm kinda in a position like, what now. She might have something wrong with her equilibrium or something, and her neck is always a little bit towards the left, but she can move it normal for the most part.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Did you supplement with any form of niacin or feed a food for ducklings?
We thought it might be niacin so we did supplemented it, and fed a food meant for ducklings. However we thought afterwards that it was probably unlikely because how can she have a deficiency as soon as she is born. And the older she got, the less the symptoms matched. Like she isnt bowlegged or anything, she has full mobility she wants to go, her brain just doesn't keep her upright, but she knows what is normal.

Can you take a video, upload it to YouTube or Vimeo then copy and paste the link here?
Yes but I will have to do itater today because I'm not at home right now. I can post some pics though. The only video I have of her is before she started doing the leaning thing and its of one of her first swims

Duckling can be hatched with the deficiency and should be started on niacin either in A liquid b complex or Nutritional yeast. Since your duck is 18 months old some of her symptoms may not go away but the liquid B Complex still would be worth trying. Sure can’t hurt. TSC has the best one in the cattle dept it will say injectable but just peel off the foil useca dropper to get out 1 ml and give this doze 2x a day over a yummy treat.

Duckling can be hatched with the deficiency and should be started on niacin either in A liquid b complex or Nutritional yeast.
I didn't know they could be born with it, huh. We gave her the b complex in powder form, and Brewers Yeast.
Since your duck is 18 months old some of her symptoms may not go away but the liquid B Complex still would be worth trying.
She is 18 weeks so I didn't think they would but like you said, its worth a try
Sure can’t hurt.
Right right
TSC has the best one in the cattle dept it will say injectable but just peel off the foil useca dropper to get out 1 ml and give this doze 2x a day over a yummy treat.
Ok I will have to try that. Is it expensive?

Back
Top Bottom