Ivermectin for chickens?

CHICKENX2005

Songster
Feb 2, 2024
A few of my chickens have been treated with ivermectin in the past so it must not hurt them? I also know some other people who use it and say it works just want to know all of your opinions.
Here's what I would like to know.

Does it work? ( the pore on kind )

What dosage do you use? I have chickens of all different sizes and breeds.

Does it work on internal parasites too? Some of my chickens also have scale mites too so will it treat that?

And how often to give it to them and where on their body should I put it?

Thank you so much you have all been so helpful.

Watching! A few weeks ago I was treating some Guinea Pigs for mites with this, and I started wondering if it could be used to treat mites on chickens as well. (My chickens don't have mites, thankfully.)

Watching! A few weeks ago I was treating some Guinea Pigs for mites with this, and I started wondering if it could be used to treat mites on chickens as well. (My chickens don't have mites, thankfully.)
You use it on guinea pigs? I have one and wanted to treat her with something like that. Didn't know if it worked. What dosage do you use?

You use it on guinea pigs? I have one and wanted to treat her with something like that. Didn't know if it worked. What dosage do you use?
Yes. We put a drop behind each ear on each pig. After first dosage, we did it again three days later to kill off the larvae. After that, we did it once a week for prevention.
Guinea Pigs get mites?
Yes.

Did they have mites before(how long ago)...and now again?
We had some chickens with mites years ago. So some of our older chickens have had them before. We have a lot more chickens now. And they are starting to show signs of mites again 😐They are in a giant fenced in area so we can't burn the hole ground to kill the mites. We tried using natural stuff and cleaning the chicken house we changed the bedding cleaned the house with water and covered it in diatomaceous earth. A few of the chickens don't seem to have mites anymore but some still do. So I was hoping something like ivermectin would help. I have so much of it because I use it on the other livestock.

We had some chickens with mites years ago. So some of our older chickens have had them before. We have a lot more chickens now. And they are starting to show signs of mites again 😐They are in a giant fenced in area so we can't burn the hole ground to kill the mites. We tried using natural stuff and cleaning the chicken house we changed the bedding cleaned the house with water and covered it in diatomaceous earth. A few of the chickens don't seem to have mites anymore but some still do. So I was hoping something like ivermectin would help. I have so much of it because I use it on the other livestock.
Ivermectin can help with mites and some internal organisms. You can overdose and poison your poultry so be careful. Dosage based on body weight is usually listed on the manufacturers instructions. For poultry it will be just a few drops at most. Using Ivermectin on poultry is an off label use as I understand it.

For long term and area protection maybe setup some habitat for mite predators like Earwigs.

Wou
Ivermectin can help with mites and some internal organisms. You can overdose and poison your poultry so be careful. Dosage based on body weight is usually listed on the manufacturers instructions. For poultry it will be just a few drops at most. Using Ivermectin on poultry is an off label use as I understand it.

For long term and area protection maybe setup some habitat for mite predators like Earwigs.
Would the per pound dosage be the same for Chickens as it is for other animals?

Back
Top Bottom