Ivermectin for chickens?

Different species, and different parasites, use vastly different dosages per pound body weight.
Also, in the USA, Ivermectin is not approved for use on poultry, because it will be in the hen's eggs for a varying length of time, and in the meat for a while also. So, totally off label use if you go ahead with it.
Permethrin spray or dust works fine against mites (spray is easier!) or spinosad also is effective, and both are fine on poultry, with no egg withdrawal.
And fenbendazole gets most intestinal worms, corid works against coccidia, and praziquantil , not approved for poultry, kills tapeworms.
It's complicated! Chickens are a food animal, and different rules apply, not the same as pet species.
Mary

Watching! A few weeks ago I was treating some Guinea Pigs for mites with this, and I started wondering if it could be used to treat mites on chickens as well. (My chickens don't have mites, thankfully.)
I've used a kids paint brush and painted the back and around the bottom of mine with ivermection in the past for pest control. I personally had no issues. I used it once every 6 months. A very small amount just dipped into the cap or small cup of the liquid. Worked very well for me.

Hi, I don't know much about this but. When is a chick old enough to use ivermectin? Is there a age minimum? What is the youngest chicken you've used it on?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom