Ivermectin Question...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by darin367, Jun 12, 2011.

1. darin367

darin367 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2010
    Shelton, Wa.
    Used ivermectin pour on today for mites, do i have to treat again in 10 days or does ivermectin treat in 1 dose...... thanks guys....

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    You need to re-treat in 10 days. You also need to thoroughly clean out and treat the coop.

Good luck.

3. mlward

mlward Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2010
    Tuscarora, NY
    I was under the impression that with that stuff, you only did it twice a year. I treated my flock this spring and will again in the fall. But, I did follow up in 1 week with another coop cleanout and dusted the coop, nestboxes and all the birds with Sevin. Seems to have worked well. Now, I dust the coop, run and nestboxes regularly with DE and throw some on the chickens too. I did see yesterday where someone treated with the eprinex and then re-dosed in 7-10 days. Apparently there didn't seem to be any adverse reaction. [​IMG]

4. FrenchToast

FrenchToast "Draft Apple Ridge" a Bit from Heaven

Jan 10, 2010
    UP North WI
    I have retreated in 10 days to get any newly hatched mite/lice eggs. The people that are treating twice a year with ivermectin are treating for worms. Ivermectin will do both worms and external parisites.
    You can treat with the ivermectin followed up with a retreatment of poultry dust (seven) to rid them of newly hatched mites/lice. Again, make sure you clean the coop and dust it or you will just be looking at a new problem down the road as any mite/lice left behind will find the birds and start the process all over again.

Good Luck

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Anytime you use ivermectin, you ARE worming. Its primary purpose is a wormer for larger livestock. There is a 2 week withdrawal period after using ivermectin. Since ivermectin kills many types of worms, you risk a toxic worm overload in your chickens, which can possibly cause death. It's better to use sevin dust, poultry dust, or Adams products for lice/mite treatments.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by