Ivermectin? Some questions?

Silkiesandco

Songster
8 Years
Jul 17, 2011
Canada eh?
My little silkies all seem to have lice on them. I have heard people say to use ivermectin. I am really confused on what ivermectin is so i have a couple questions.

What is it?

How do you use it?

How often do you use it?

Does it kill eggs too?

Where do you get it?

Thanks. Hope you can answer my questions

Quote:
Ivermectin won't kill lice.Lice feed on the feathers,dander and dry skin., Their fluid intake is from the eyes and vent.. Sevin dust is way more effective applied once and repeated two weeks later

Here is a picture of the front and back label. You can read it and decide for yourself.

23908_11-19-2011_30213_pm.jpg

Last edited:
I am not hugely experienced with chickens, but there is a big difference with ivermectrin oral that we use for heartworm on our dogs, on our horses for worms, and the Ivomec pour-on that is used on cattle (and on some chickens here--an off-label use.) I hope people read the details before they use these products because they might use them incorrectly or overdose their chickens. We want to help our animals, but reading all the info we can sure will help.

Eggcessive[b :

]I am not hugely experienced with chickens[/b], but there is a big difference with ivermectrin oral that we use for heartworm on our dogs, on our horses for worms, and the Ivomec pour-on that is used on cattle (and on some chickens here--an off-label use.) I hope people read the details before they use these products because they might use them incorrectly or overdose their chickens. We want to help our animals, but reading all the info we can sure will help.

This is why we are members of BYC. To get trusted and tried advice from people who are experienced with chickens. Which is where I got the dosage amount to use. No one is forced to take the advice. I've been here since the first chicks came in my door four years ago and the advice has not failed me yet. There are some exceptionally smart people here. I trust them.

BYC is great in that sometimes there is not enough time to "read all we can". Since you admit to not being experienced with chickens , we will refrain from taking your advice.
gig.gif
Unless I get some dogs, but then I expect there is a BYD, Back Yard Dogs.
gig.gif

Take care ,

Rancher​

Are Ivermectrin and Eprinex the same medication? Do they contain the same active ingredient?
I know that Ivermectrin does not kill worms, does not work in chickens.... at least not the injectible form.

I bought Eprinex, it didn't really do much... IMO.... for mites. So, I went back to Sevin Dust. But, I am going to try it again (since I have it on hand) and spray the coop and all with a Permethrin Spray.

Back
Top Bottom