jhook1997

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 18, 2011
In the water?
On the skin?
Injection?
On the skin?

I've heard all of the above....any comments on what's best for leg mites?

depends on what kind you purchase. the most common is the pour on liquid. I don't know much about using ivermectin for leg mites. I would use petroleum jelly mixed with liquid permethrin

Last edited:
I am having a terrible time getting rid of leg mites... I read to mix "Poultry Dust" which is Permetherin (sp?) with Vasaline.. and slather it on... I have used it three times...
Also... have bought and used Scarlet Oil in the form of RED KOTE (Dr. Naylor's Red Kote... same maker and brand as Blu Kote Spray for injuries).

I am waiting to hear back about another treatment -- but, in the mean time I will use Vasaline by itself again, tomorrow, in another effort to smother the mites.

I am finding them hard to treat. I can only suggest searching here on BYC.. "Scaley Leg Mites" and see what others say...

Oh, I have also used Eprinex to no avail. (don't know about the Ivermectin)

Good luck.

Ivermectin goat wormer .08% is water soluble but photosensitive. Rate is 5ml/l (on the safe side). Not sure about effectiveness for leg mites. If they suck blood then I suppose it should work. Have never had to deal with leg mites myself.

I use the liquid permethrin. it's a concentrate that you dilute and spray, it's used for the yard and on livestock. you can get it at Tractor Supply. Get the 10%. DON'T dilute it, mix well with the petroleum jelly and slather on. I would reapply about a week later to knock out any that managed to survive.

Ivermectin is a very useful medicine but we are also starting to experience parasites that are not as suseptable to it as they used to be. My point is, to reconsider using it if there is another treatment available. I have read that leg mites require persistent treatment, every day or every 2-3 days for weeks using petrroleum jelly or WD-4o or the like to smother the buggers. Consider saving the ivermectin for internal parasites or mites.

Google leg mites and petrolum jelly for more information. I would use vegetable oil myself.

What I have done to cure scaly leg mites in two separate new additions to my old flock, is to dip each leg in mineral oil daily for two weeks. It worked wonders. Towards the end I went to every other day.

Also be aware that those mites can affect their facial area. You might inspect them there.

Back
Top Bottom