Ivomec Eprinex Pour On

jjthink

Crowing
13 Years
Jan 17, 2007
New Jersey
Generally, I am wondering if this wormer remains viable beyond the stated expiration date, as so many products do.

After ransacking the house, just found the Ivomec Eprinex that I have on hand. It's in a little brown glass vial where I hand wrote an expiration date of 2/09. I had given the original bottle and most of its contents to someone a couple of years ago who had a need for it and just kept a wee bit in case I needed it at some point. Now I think I need it because my roo feels too lightweight (he is otherwise eating and drinking and looking well). I realized his weight was too light when I picked him up to coat his legs/feet with Bagbalm as they were looking a bit scaly. It's the first time I've been able to pick him up since March because I've been in casts for fractures, so in the interim my poor sweet boy seems to have lost some weight.
sad.png

I wanted to ask the company if the product would still be viable but it's Saturday and they're only open only Monday to Friday. You can't get the stuff around here (only Wazine is available and that would do if the problem is roundworms I suppose) so if I have to order more it's going to take some time to arrive by mail. As a minor temporary measure I put food grade DE in their food and offered pumpkin seeds but if he has a serious worm infestation I need to call in the big guns (the Ivomec Eprinex). BJ's hen friend Ellie weighs plenty so I don't think she has a problem, interestingly.

Will also have to refresh myself on dosage. Will try searching BYC site to see if I can flush out the info..............

JJ

I always use expired stuff, Judy, so I may be no help at all to you, LOL. Most things are okay for a time past the expiration date, I'd say, though maybe not quite as effective. I doubt horrible things will suddenly happen if you used an expired wormer, but if someone else knows why you shouldn't, they can feel free to say so.

Thanks Cyn
smile.png
I'm figuring it won't hurt him but I won't likely know if it's working and whether or not he needs to have a dose of newer stuff (wouldn't want to OD him if the older stuff is still effective). Still inclined to give it a whirl though, since he may not even have a worm problem. Ellie is absolutely fine from all indications, and she's everywhere he is....
JJ

Hmmm...just had another thought. Even though I will only treat BJ since Ellie seems a-okay, if he and Ellie should connect, so to speak, I wonder if any fertilized eggs could be affected (for consumption purposes - I give the eggs to my parents and others). I know the answer isn't out there as I doubt anyone has studied whether this stuff transmits that way!
JJ

I'd use it, too. As you say, the biggest problem is it may not be as effective. Thing is, if you decide to worm again, you'd probably want to use Valbazen (albednazole) as it gets all types of worms. Pretty sure it can be bought around here as a goat wormer, so not so huge a bottle.

0.25 cc dropped on the neck for bantams, 0.5 cc for large fowl.

Ivomec is still good. One of the most popular things at a horse and tack auction is outdated wormer. I have used it in horses 3 years out of date and seen bots it killed in the manure. Seems like the doses I have seen listed for chickens are a little high. One place I seen where a person was using more on a chicken than I use on a 80 lb Lab

Thanks all! Very much.....

I have read 1/4cc for 5.5 pound bird (likewise, 1/2cc for 11 pound bird), based on 1 cc for 22 pounds of cattle, and also some references to that being high for birds.

Thanks for the tip about Valbazen. The Ivomex Eprinex doesn't take care of tapeworm, so hopefully he doesn't have one or more of those lovely beasts.
sickbyc.gif

JJ

I know this is an old thread but I thought it was worth reviving. Having been a LPN for over 25 yrs. let me reassure you the expiration dates on all products including medications doesn't really mean anything. The government in it's infinite wisdom had decided that they required one. This does not include food for obvious reasons. Most medications of any kind will be viable long after, sometimes years, they have expired. I would not use any medications that have changed color, consistency, odor or become cloudy. For optimum shelf life store as recommended on the package in a clean, dry and cool environment.

Back
Top Bottom