Ivomec (Ivermectin) Egg withdrawal period. Can anyone clear this up?

cicene mete

Songster
11 Years
Jun 19, 2008
Okay, so I've researched on this website, and I have read everything from 10 days to six weeks for egg withdrawal. I can understand a few days here and there, but this seems like a pretty big gap! So now, I'm more confused than ever
he.gif

I don't want to eat anything unsafe, but I also don't want to throw away dozens and dozens of eggs unnecessarily.

If anybody out there can shed some light on this, that would be great.

Two weeks is what we do for Sevin dust and Wazine wormer. I think, after six weeks, you would definitely be safe. Maybe something in between?

I am waiting two weeks. I think that is plenty of time. I wanna know if I can feed my chickens their eggs during this waiting period so that they don't have to go to waste.

Quote:
From what Ive heard on here yes you can feed them to chickens-I asked the very same question last week-From what I researched its 3 weeks for us not to eat the eggs. So that is what I am doing-wait 3 weeks to sell and feed them back to the girls-some are moulting anyway so it will help get a jump on protein renewel!!!

If you feed the eggs back to the chickens just extend the period you are not eating the eggs past the recommended 10 days (just wanted to mention that I read that somewhere.) If you do a search for the chemical in ivermectin you can see that they come in pill form for humans. Not saying you would want to take the medicine, but it can't be that bad if it is actually perscribed for humans.

There is no official recommendation because there has been no testing to verify when the amount of residue is low enough to be considered insignificant. However, as was stated, ivermectin is frequently used on humans in 3rd world countries, and occasionally here.

Quote:
Bingo.

So for some people 10 days is enough for them, while others want to play it so safe they go up to 6 weeks.

It is up to you, but two weeks should be sufficient.

We use the recommended 2 weeks that we've read from other BYC'ers. However, if there is some residue, it'll just worm you (if enough is present).
big_smile.png
Ivermectin is prescribed for humans as a dewormer as well.

Back
Top Bottom